Hives: Plastic or wooden?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by MillsFarmFamily, Nov 26, 2005.

1. MillsFarmFamily

MillsFarmFamily Well-Known Member

My hubby is interested in getting started in beekeeping, but would anyone here have a preference on which is better: wooden hives or plastic hives? Thanks so much for any advise before I buy his Christmas present :)

2. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Is he into woodworking at all?

And definitely consider beesource.com!

4. MillsFarmFamily

yes, makes just about everything we have, but someone told us it would be just as economical to just purchase a new set-up. Don't know if that is true or not?

5. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

Then he can probably make most things cheaper, definitely if you would be paying shipping. Cheap or free lumber would make a huge difference too of course.

6. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Keeping bees is easily our most rewarding farm experience. The reward is great compared to the amount of effort. Unless you have access to the proper dimensions of wood and routering tools etc, and your time is not worth anything...it is vastly more economical to purchase the first 'hive'. I have not heard of plastic hives, but I have heard of plastic frames. A 'hive' consists of multiple pieces. 1) Bottom Board 2) Supers (boxes) 3) Frames 4) Queen Excluder 5) Inside Cover 6) Outside Cover

You will need the following for one hive:
    1 Bottom Board
    4-6 Supers or Boxes
    Enough frames to fill each super 9 frames each
    1 Queen Excluder
    1 Inside cover
    1 Outside cover

Your local honey producers coop will have all of these materials and all of the information you require. A good book on the subject is highly recommended.
    As far as wood or plastic frames...I prefer plastic as they are already formed and put together...last indefinitely and don't require constant repair or replacement.

7. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

My opinion is a lot of the info. here doesn't consider your first post. If you are buying your husband a christmas gift, I would consider any or all of the following:

1 Starter hive with frames and foundation, complete with bottom board, inner lid and outer lid, all wood.

1 Smoker

1 Bee book

A subscription to "Gleanings in Bee Culture"

A subscription to "The American Bee Journal"

Let him add to from there. He most likely will not be happy with other purchases you make for him, as most of them will be "personal choice" items.
    IE: You buy a Dodge when he likes FORD better.

8. MillsFarmFamily

Thanks, that's just what I was hoping for. Off to place my order.

9. Iddee

Iddee Well-Known Member

Too many choices there. That's why I left them out. Let him buy them. Buy the wrong ones and he will never use them. He'll just go buy the ones he likes.