hive died over the winter

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by vtfarma, May 11, 2004.

1. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

We have one hive that had snow that got up in front of the opening, I guess, and it did not make it through the winter. It ended up mildewing - the feathery type. What do I need to do? It is full of honey and dead bees. I have noticed some bees from our other hive scooting in there. Or at least I am assuming that is where they can from. If I scrape it and extract the honey will that work and not make us sick? Thanks - Glad to see this up and running!

2. Billy Bob131

Billy Bob131 Active Member

Honey has a shelf life of about 10 years, but I don’t know if scraping the mold off is going to be good enough. Some of it may still get into the honey. Honey is antibacterial but I do not think you should test it to see how well it works. You could put the honey in the existing hive and the bees will clean it much better than you can. The only draw back is they may eat all the honey…faster than you know. Another point to remember, if your hive died of some bee disease then you could spread it to your other hive.

You should get enough honey from your other hive to carry you through the year. I would save the honey/wax comb from the dead out and do a split with the existing hive or you can keep it and feed it back to the existing hive in the fall.

BB

3. zathrus

zathrus Member

If the honey is capped, it should be fine. Honey has been found in the tombs in Egypt that was still usable, so it has about a 10,000 year shelf life. If it was not capped, it may be spoiled.

Hope this helps!

Sean

4. Billy Bob131

Billy Bob131 Active Member

Not sure if the USDA would go along with the 10,000 year shelf life :haha:

BB

5. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Probably not! I can see their little pencil pushing brains going nuts about this one.

6. kosh

kosh Well-Known Member

Here's a thought.

Are any of your other hives strong enough to be split? perhaps you could order a new queen, then split the hive putting some of the brood frames and bees and the new queen in the dead hive. The bees do a super job of cleaning hives. I'm sure they could take care of cleaning the hive and would be glad to have the frames that have already been drawn and the capped honey for food.

peace,
    Jason

7. Medora

Medora Active Member

Egyptians were very advanced in their preserving abilities. I read somewhere (or my tour guide told me) that they found grain in a Egyptian tomb and they were able to get some of it to sprout!

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

:bouncy: The USDA also approves GMO grain along with some other farm pratices:goodjob:

:D Al