Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing a little reading on the old hit-and-miss engines. I have never had the chance to see or work with one of these, unfortunately. It would be great to see and hear one of these engines working. I have watched a few videos but that's not the same as a real experience.
Has anyone here ever used or worked on one of them? Unless I'm misunderstanding or not comprehending things, there was no conventional carburetor on these engines.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
41,342 Posts
I’m somewhat familiar. They use a carburetor minus the throttle butterfly. Engine speed is controlled by a governor that operates the intake valve. When it’s going fast enough the governor holds the intake valve open until the engine slows down allowing it to once again operate and fire again. Some control the spark instead of the intake valve.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts

This next guy sounds like he's from NY so you may need a translator but it's a good explanation.

I see these at the thresher shows around the area. Probably some in your area too. My neighbor has a few squired away in his barn. Interesting state of the art technology in 1910.

·
Expect the unexpected
2,623 Posts
My son wants to buy a hit miss engine. Know where one is but the seller changed
her mind about letting it go. But will try again at some point to purchase.
He wanted it to run his vintage burr grinder to make cracked corn.
His grinder, you can turn the wheel by hand if need be. But too time consuming.

Have watched them at a steam pageant run. I enjoy hearing them.

Try this page.
Magneto Ignition for Gas Engines - Buzz Coils
I was using buzz box as a search.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts