Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking through my old Mother Earth News magazines lately..30 years worth of them actually, and it is strange to see articles talking about the same problems we have today. Poor economy, oil crisis, jobs, banks and interest rates. It seems strange that we just don't seem to learn our lessons from the recent past..maybe we just are not "trainable" in this country. I guess greed will be with us forever. :shrug:

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
A never ending cycle. History does indeed repeat itself. As long as we have greedy manufacturers, government, etc, there will be times of recession. Let's just hope and pray we can continue to pull out of it.

·
Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs
3,736 Posts
Well, yes.. the whole point of the capitalist system is individuals maximizing their own self interest.. or being "greedy." The theory is that the system has checks and balances: workers seek to maximize what they get paid, companies seek to keep wages as low as possible, and the two forces meet in the middle where fairness is created by this thing called "the marketplace."

Unfortunately, in a world of equals, some people are more equal that others. Some are more ruthless. Some are more devious. Some are better liars. And the system is rigged to reward ruthless devious liars.

Which is why we have regulation and unions and such, to try and level the playing field.

Unfortunately, if you're clever, ruthless, devious and a good enough liar... you can work your way around the regulations. And there will always be someone who figures out how to scam the system. Corner the sugar market, corner silver, corner electricity, speculate in oil... someone is figuring out how to make money by taking it away from the least able to lose it.

And that is what you see repeated over and over again in your magazines. If they went back to the 1700s you'd find the same themes repeated back then as well. Probably back to the stone age someone was figuring out how to corner the market on flint so they could drive the price up and corner the market in skins.

I don't agree with Karl Marx, but I can certainly see how he came up with the ideas he did.

·
Super Moderator
16,906 Posts
Every generation seems to have to learn by itself. And, about half of the older generation also!!!!!!!!!

·
Failure is not an option.
2,623 Posts
Hey.

Taxes. We rebelled against the King of England over them. People always ***** about them. Someday we'll rebel again...

Ethics are at all time low and the unscrupulous aren't being punished. Government is too big and restrictive. We rely on energy that is in short supply. These are just a few factors that the past didn't have to deal with in this country.

In regards to MEN, 30 years ago you could build your own home and live the way you wanted without interference...look at all the neat home building articles back then. Today you have too many code restrictions and permit fees...too much government. Gone are most of the articles on shoestring building that made MEN interesting.

RF

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a lot of the old one's too and one is the 2nd issue, which I bought at a yard sale. About once a year I dig them out to go through and there is a lot of good info in them.

RenieB

·
Premium Member
4,353 Posts
Was it Jefferson who said this, or Edison?

"History does not repeat it's self. Man does." We are doomed to repeat those things we didn't learn from the first time. It is the way of life.

Cindyc.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I got two grocery sacks of Organic Gardening magazines for $5 at a library sale, they run from the late 70's to the early 80's and they too talk about the same things: high fuel and food prices, shortages, alternative heating, etc. They are pure gold! I have learned so many helpful things from reading them. Finding old wisdom in print form is invaluable!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
If you repeat it often enough and loud enough, at some point everything will come true. I thought they were full of it then and I think they are crying wolf all over again. I have all the old MENs and I like to read through them at least once a year.

·
de oppresso liber
16,879 Posts
One reason history repeats itself is because there are people who believe the reason something failed in the past is because the people trying it then were not as smart as they are today. History has shown time and time again what the leaders today are going to do to "fix" things do not work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts