Historical Pennsylvania Homesteading Community

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by palongrifle, Oct 25, 2004.

1. palongrifle

palongrifle Active Member

I am concidering the idea of opening up property to historical re-enactors/homesteaders here in western Pennsylvania in the heart of the French and Indian region. This region is rich with history including the Whiskey Rebellion, discovery of oil, the Iroquios Nation, ect.
    My idea is to offer re-enactors a plot of land to work a trade such as Black Smithing, Wood Wright, Farming, Butcher Shop, ect and cooperate as a community (why should everyone have a vehicle,license,insurance, maintainance ect - when we can share?) Goods can be sold to the public for extra income while carrying on a traditional setting.
    I am a certified teacher so homeschooling may also be a possibility for those with children. I would eventually like to be able to offer college credit to history teachers for participation in this live-event learning environment endorsed by any of the local colleges (Clarion Univ., Univ. of Pittsburgh, Edinboro Univ., Slippery Rock Univ.)
    What do you readers think of the idea? Would there be interest in this if advertised to artisans and historians? What drawbacks could I face?
    ddswine@alltel.net

2. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I know the area well. The Allegehany National Forest is a great area. Have you picked the site or do you already own land? I would think that somewhere near Kane would be a great place or Oil City. If it were in Kane or north you could probably get some interaction with the Indians from the reservation up at Salmanca. Sounds awesome to me. I couldn't move that far because I am a youth pastor and can't leave these kids, but I would be willing to help with websites etc.

3. john#4

john#4 Well-Known Member

Palongrifle,

I thank you have a great idea. But remember that your people will have to work off the land some for money. They will have to pay for the land somehow. At least until they get setup.
    It could certainly be a model that could catch on. Log homes, log barns??
    If you are going to be self-sufficient, start looking for old horse farm equipment, you cant be self sustaining and have to buy gas Etc.
    With today’s economy it could very will work and be a model for others.
    Let us know your thoughts, ideas and how it is going.
    Good luck,
    John#4

4. tilmar

tilmar New Member

I think this is a great idea, one I've dreamed of for my own area (Standing Rock Reservation in South Dakota) for some time. Please keep us updated on your progress, and good luck.

5. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

I think is a great idea. There are lot of questions to be answered but I belive a living history community like this would only be great, but could also be very self supporting income wise as well. Offering living history vactions for families is brcomming a hot topic. Since seeing shows like Pioneer House and Colonial house on PBS people are looking for places to take their families so they can get away from it all and get back to history. I think palongrifle could have something here.

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Are you going to have an Inn? Complete with bedbugs? Gotta be realistic doncha know? :haha:

7. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Oh, that reminds me, there is something like this, (not full time people that live there... but an interesting living history place anyways called Hale Farm and Village abolut 20 miles from here. You can check it out here. http://www.wrhs.org/halefarm/default.asp

8. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

I think it's a great idea, too. Would you have room for reenactors of farming activities?

Kathleen in Oregon

9. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like a fun idea. At Fort Michlemacinac (sp) reenactors daily go through the typical life of the people who lived there. However, they are basicly actors with a passion for history. Viewing people who are really living historicly would be a real boost, speaking as a tourist. The people involved would have to have a bit of hambone in them to be able to work with people all day, though. You might need to have spokespersons along with your tradespeople to make this come off. Are you thinking of having paying tourists living with the families for a week at a time? You know, they pay you to work all day for free.

10. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

dont forget the cholorea for the water supply and the weevils for the flour bins...

will we be fighting off the indians or trading smallpox infected blankets with them?

sounds like a nifty idea. sort of like medowcroft village but with people actually living there... very cool!

11. headintodawoods

There are some real possibilities here....Money by be an issue, does anyone know anything about getting historical grants/funds?

12. palongrifle

palongrifle Active Member

Getting a historical grant would be great - either through the state or a local historical society. I wonder how much governmental restrictions would apply though. Example: It being a public and governmental building, would it have to be booze and smoke free, would we have to be closed on holidays, be required to represent all the various minorities?
    It would be sweet to find a silent partner or donor - LOL - anyone care to adopt me?

13. headintodawoods

Have you picked out the land yet? You could sell some of the timber to create some of the cash needed, plus clear an area for the settlement.

14. headintodawoods

Anyone consider doing this in NW Arkansas. Not necessarilly the re-enacting of the French and Indian stuff, but a living history type of community. The winters might be more agreeable. I still love the PA idea and think it will be great, just wondering about Arkansas.