historic restoration question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Hummingbird, May 27, 2006.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Hi all -

Has anyone on here dealt with restoring a home that is already on the Historic Register? We are thinking about buying one and would need to add a garage to the property. Is this allowed? Does anyone know where I can find this information?

Thanks!

Nance

2. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

I think you can search via Alta Vista/Snap.com for info-is it national or state historic registry? Be careful-there may be restrictions beyond what you expect and also arcane building limitations. Luck-Dan

3. TNHermit

TNHermit Well-Known Member Supporter

If your house is on a historic register there will be certain guide lines you have to follow. You may have to deal with local guidelines too. I would suggest you find out if there are any local historic societies and contact them. Some of them are pretty strict. Some are somewhat looser. It all depends on their interpretations.

4. bostonlesley

bostonlesley Guest

My understanding is that anything at ALL that you do to the outside of the property must be in keeping with the "period". That means you may have a garage, but it cannot look like a garage..it must look like something else, OR be 100% hidden by something which is "period"..your local, county, or state historical society will have those regulations available as well as suggestions for you.

A good example is a garage which appears to be a barn, or a milk house, or a carriage house. Normally, plans for an addition must be drawn up by an architect and submitted to the society for its' approval. If you speak to them first, they are usually extremely helpful, and often have many "plans" already available at inexpensive rates from architects with whom they work. I've never personally had hands on experience, but many of my friends have gone down that road.

5. Shadow

Shadow Well-Known Member

If you enjoy the look and feel of old houses and enjoy the frustartion of dealing with committees and rules that seem to make little or no sence go to it. I would not for any reason. But that is just my opinion, from past experence.

6. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Would not be for me. Other people with no stake in it telling you how to deal with your property..... Govt is bad enough, much less a do-gooder group that has nothing better to do.

--->Paul

7. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

The words "ten foot pole" come to mind.

Not a chance.

8. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

We are in the midst of trying to return a 1901 farmhouse back to period style, by choice. We're not on the historic register, but the people we bought it from did a fine job building a 3-car garage that really does look like a small "carriage house" or home livery building/barn.

Over the years, my family has had to deal with the "planning commission" of several different cities and towns, and as long as you APPEAR to be eager to work within their policy, you actually get a bit of wiggle room.

For example, "period style" may NOT require that you use wooden nails and do everything with hand tools; simply using the doorway measurements, window sizes, and ceiling heights of the time may be all that is required.

DO find out if it is a national, county, or city historic registry, and then try to speak to a REAL PERSON in the planning commission office instead of getting a "guidlines booklet". Often, the real person will know EXACTLY which property you want, and will know just how "picky" or how loose the commission will be.

Good Luck!