His place or hers?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by CooksCritters, Jun 8, 2017.

His place or hers? Which rabbit gender is more hospitable?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2017.
  1. I put my buck rabbit in with my doe.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I put my doe rabbit in with my buck.

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  3. I put both rabbits in a neutral cage.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It doesn't really matter.

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. CooksCritters

CooksCritters Member

OK so DH and I have made the decision to breed rabbits. I've read several articles on it but none seem to agree on how to get the breeders together. So my question is do you put your buck in with your doe? Or do you put your doe in with your buck? Or do you put them both together in a neutral cage? Does it matter at all?
    Thank you!

2. nyhunter

nyhunter Well-Known Member

Doe in with buck or she'll attack him.

3. CooksCritters

CooksCritters Member

Thank you nyhunter.

4. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I never knew you could do polls,awesome. We put does in with bucks

Fire-Man likes this.
  5. DoubleAcre

DoubleAcre Well-Known Member

We also put does to the buck. Never tried it the other way around but I've been told that the male may spend more time checking and marking territory then what he should be doing.

nyhunter likes this.
  6. nyhunter

nyhunter Well-Known Member

Was also going to mention the male would be distracted by the new cage, but doe's can be territorial and really do some damage if they decide too.

Fire-Man likes this.
  7. sassafras manor

sassafras manor Well-Known Member

We have 2 different bucks depending on what outcome we are breeding for as well as the type of the season. One we put in with the does and he does his job twice within a matter of minutes and is ready to return to his pen. The other we bring the does to him because he may spend 20-30 minutes checking things out before doing his job. We have very friendly does so they (and the bucks for that matter) are not defensive in any capacity.

8. crittermomma

crittermomma Well-Known Member

We always bring the doe to the buck.

9. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

Doe to buck. Always. Unless you have a really good reason to do it the other way around. Does bite, bucks just wanna sniff and mark if you do buck to doe.

10. Stephanie Lewis

Stephanie Lewis New Member

I put my buck in with one of my does and it didn't go well. She wouldn't let him near her and he couldn't get the job done. Googled it and found out why so I put her in his cage and bam, it was done. Now I only put the doe in the bucks cage. I tried a neutral cage first and it was the same as the does cage. The buck wanted to mark his territory and occasionally tend to the doe but she wasn't having it.

11. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

when I learned allthe information from the Vet schools said put the doe in the bucks cage. Many years later? i have developed my own system. I put them both into a round neutral cage! put the buck in first allow him to become familer then put the doe in. usually only takes 60 seconds and I'm done with that pair. and so on. works for me! I used to put th doe in the bucks cage but had problems occasionally? then the square sides became a problem with some? so Small. round temporary cage. breed and done! or She raises cane and is perturbed so I remove her and wait three days try again? just what i do? best wishes!! ray! just a 24 inch section of 1x1 inch wire pulled around and hooked at the ends. set on floor. outside ok? abut sometime they get distracted with the grass!!! and want to eat instead of breed? hehe