Hiring out jobs around the homestead.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Dec 2, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

All right, I must admit that I am so cheap that I don't hire out much around the homestead. But I thought it would be interesting to hear what folks hired out and why? Was it time constraints, lack of ability/knowledge, or did you just not want to do that particular job?

I hire out the hauling of our septic sludge... although I clean the net filter myself.

next?

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

I have hired out loading my hay after we bale it. I still like the square bales and I notice teens are much better than I am at it lol. Worth every penny and it makes me feel good to know contrary to popular belief you dont need illegal aliens to perform hard nasty and hot manual labor. Anyone ever throw bales much higher than their head all day in the hot july sun in the south will appreciate the effort those boys put out. I always pay a bonus to those that dont quit or miss a day.

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

We hired out the fencing for our new ewes. It was just hard for the two of us to do in the hot, dry AZ desert.

4. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we do from time to time hire in an excivator to load manure,dig holes or a dozer to do some leveling .we did hire sheering done but now handle this chore too. occasionaly hire a kid to help with squares but our own are getting to an age where they help(i was running the show at their age!) . next year the young lady will be cutting hay,she already bales with me or my bro stacking. if we could i would hire out our manure spreading but that would amount to the operator dumping the equipment in the yard and coming back for it the next day!

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

I've paid $8/hr to a teenager (recc by his friend and friend's mom) to clean out chicken house- no way you can screw it up and I felt the amount of time he took was fair (checked on him a lot with drinks etc), same to a grown soldier to dig a rose bed for me (elephant grave size) which was bad idea as it was sort of fraternization and he actually showed up dressed nice with aftershave on (maybe he didn't believe me when I said it was garden work digging). All his clothes were washable though and that was necessary after he finished I'm sure! Best worker, same price, was a family friend who'd sold us the house: set him loose tidying up for sale and he was great workwise, idea wise, value wise.

I'm not a good immediate supervisor- feel like I can't organize work efficiently in packets for people- so easy jobs they can do without my input or jobs they're the expert at are best- if I need two people to do something I'm going to do myslef with their help I'll waste a lot of time and better to do with DH and not on a payroll. Maybe if I had two tasks set up- and they could continue the other one between helping me- or if it were a much more casual helper I'm not paying so much like a child or cousin of my own or a neighbor kid who I could 'tip' afterwards not pay an agreed total or hourly amount.

6. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Cadet Kady andarm.com

Goats do need mineral supplements, probably especially in Wisconsin where they will be on hay a good part of the year. Things like this can be very area specific. For example we live in an area that has plenty of Selenium - pretty rare. You should check some of the Selenium maps, but I don't think WI has plenty of Selenium. If we gave them to much in the way of supplements which usually contain Selenium, it would be fatal. A loc

7. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

We hired out the building of our basic barn shell, then added to it and made stalls and a tack room. I was still working at the time and we needed to be able to get the horses out here quickly so we didn't have to drive almost 80 miles each way to feed twice a day. Hired a nurse's husband who was starting a contracting business to help hubby put up our garage package, and he did a great job. Then had him put on a new deck on the back. Hubby had done the front one himself and did just as good a job, but we were working against time and weather. Had new windows put on, roofing and siding, (don't get me started on the window installation, I'd like to strangle those people!) Most everything else hubby has managed to do with some help from me. Fencing, refencing and more fencing. Additions to the barn, building little sheds for the sheep and goats, hay barns, etc. Hubby built an awsome three bay addition to the garage after tearing down a huge monitor style barn for materials. I think in the long run, having the barn and garage put up by someone else probably saved us years of work, as hubby is so particular it takes him forever to do a job, especially if he doesn't know how and won't ask anyone!

I do hire a local 12 year old girl to help with stall cleaning occasionally, just to give her a little money, as her family is really struggling. She weeded gardens for me in exchange for a Flemish Giant rabbit for her 4H project, and cleaned cages last week for spending money. On the whole, we can't afford to hire out much now, but wish we could!

Jan in CO

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

well we paid for our septic to get done becouse we found someone to do it for 1,800 hunderd about the same thing if i rented a machine and did it so it freed us up to do other things allso we had the guest cabin shell built we will finish the inside ourselfs with winter baring down on us we wanted to finish our house first other then those we do everything ourself just like you we are cheap and we allso enjoy doing it

jim

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Hey Jim,

BTW, you and easyday better get with it... I need some new pics!

I would probably hire to have the septic done too. That is a tremendous price.

10. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i thought it was cheap allso 750 gallon tank d box and 180 feet of leach feild thats plenty for the 2 of us we will be putting up new pics tomorrow hope you have been getting good weather the wind dont want to lay down here for about 2 weeks now

11. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Let's see, I hired two young guys in their twenties to move my couch, loveseat, and oak rolltop desk to the new place. The couch and chair were no big deal, but the desk had to go upstairs, and it weighs a TON!

Since then, I hired a guy to wire the big barn, and Braveheart paid him to install a door in said barn. Then, I had him back out to run a circuit in the basement for my grow lights. While he was here, he also swapped two light fixtures for me.

I'm going to have him back out to replace an exterior outlet with an outdoor one. The current one has a garbage bag stuffed in the hole to keep the weather out! I may have him re-wire the old garage while I'm thinking about it. The ex used to do the wiring, but I'll pay gladly for someone else to do it now.

12. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

See Dave Berry's movie? Every woman needs a Steve- a handy man who can fix things her DH can't.

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

With the construction of my cabin I've found that a good, honest worker of any age is a hard find. I'm learning to do a lot on my own, this month hanging dry wall and placing insulation. My experience thus far has been that a lot of people can talk all day about working and some even make promises about working but few actually do the work and fewer do it the way one would do it herself or himself. My most pressing concern is time- there is so much to be done that even setting priorities is difficult, hence I am scaling down in livestock rather than hiring anymore workers. People have been a huge disappointment.

14. Wags

Wags Well-Known Member Supporter

Never saw the Dave Berry movie, but since dh is not even remotely handy - boy could I use a "Steve"! I have hired out some electrical and othe projects that dh couldn't do, or things I got tired of waiting for him to do. Next year I hopefully will be back to doing more myself - if I can figure out how to juggle two kids under two and still get to projects.

15. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a steve....his name is Bruce....he's on my roof right now putting up snow bracing for my metalbestos cookstove chimney....my husband is afraid of heights and goes vertigo

Bruce is like a second Grampy to my kids....we pay him by the day $100 plus food and beer.....Its a nice help for us and him as he is getting only SS....He brought donuts for the kids this morning....a big treat for them! :angel:

16. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

A few weeks ago we had someone clean the gutters on the house (2 story) and we traded for potatoes, eggs, onions, squash. I like this kind of hiring out. This man's wife gets goat milk from us too. But don't tell him, he doesn't know he's drinking it. ;)

When we built our new barn we hired a local contractor to do the cement slab. We assisted but he was able to get the better prices for the back-hoe cement & stone.

17. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

I hire out my garden ploughing and discing, also get a guy to bushhog twice a year, we city boys still want a green lawn. :D

18. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I hire out for plumbing, mainly old plumbing that needs to be fixed in a short period when the cows want water. I don't mind doing new plumbing, but old stuff where things might break or the next old galvanized fitting might give way, etc, I'd rather have a guy with a truck load of parts in the driveway. That way I don't have to say "Oh, Sh*+" and run for the hardware store 12 miles away and get back lacking one elbow or coupling, etc. You know how it goes. New plumbing is no problem. I also don't do the heavy electric wiring, like for larger motors, etc. Just don't know that much about it and don't want to screw up that kind of thing. 120 stuff is no problem, though, and I do alot of wiring in the house and outbuildings. Just about anything that has to be done fast I'll consider hiring out, but if it can be done slow over a few days or more, then I can usually tackle it myself.

One thing that gets me on the phone pretty fast is a bad calving. I can't pull like I used to be able to. I need the vet for that.

Jennifer

19. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

when I built the addition on my house I wanted the kitchen to look nice for family dinners so I hired the drywall hung, and finished. one time I wanted to put a "bilco" door over my basement opening, but the opening was an irregular size. for the ife of me I couldnt figure out how to built the dors I wanted so I hired that done. Im like Zeal, I dont hire much done, and I hate admitting that I cant do a job, but those 2 jobs I just couldnt do myself the way I wanted them