Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alot of things I can do if only I had the physical strength to loosen bolts and such . Such as the brake job , I cannot get the &^%%* torx bolts loose. Its driving me nuts. Thanks

·
Registered
116 Posts
Torx you off, doesn't it? (I couldn't resist!). Seriously...there are many ways to compensate for a lack of strength nowadays. If you can borrow, rent or buy an electric impact wrench (1/2"), with some appropriate attachments...you can do just about everything...there are even flexible drives to get to hard to reach spots...I admire your efforts...good stuff.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Breaker Bar with a Cheat Bar Wife dose it all the time!! :D

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
18,136 Posts
I assume that you're using a torx drive attachment on your rachet wrench. I also assume that you don't have a 3/8-inch drive breaker bar.

If the wrench you're using is a 3/8-inch drive, ramp up to a 1/2-drive by using a 3/8-to-1/2 adaptor. If that doesn't work, try placing a pipe over the handle of your ratchet which effectively makes the rachet longer thereby giving you more leverage (torque).

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
A few shots of PB Blaster, wait a few minutes, then use a cheater bar like Rock said; it will work wonders.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
My lack of physical strength is the my number one frustration. It drives me nuts too.

Power tools when you can use them, cheater bars, dreative thinking and carrying lots of buckets have gone a long way to solving most of my problems in this area.

Jena

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
There is a handy little tool known as an Impact Driver that work manually with a hammer or mallet. It features a 1/2 inch drive head that can be adopted to just about anything, there is an internal 'ramp' system that twistes the driver about 20 degrees each time you whack it. About $15.00 in any well stocked parts house. Go into google with 'impact driver', in the 'images' mode to see one first hand, I am talking about the manual one, not the power model, its about flashlight size and made of steel.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
First of all know your enemy. You speak of torx bolts on brakes. This doesn't happen to be a Ford truck does it? Ford trucks and many others use threadlocker to hold important bolts from loosening. On some of them heat is required to soften the threadlocker and allow the bolt to be removed. If proper procedures aren't followed the threads can easily be damaged. Also when installing the bolts check for the proper torque specs. Many of these bolts require high torque to keep them from loosening. Be sure to tighten to proper specs.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the hints . Brakes are done new pads and rotors !!!!! Part of the problem was that the book said torx and it was a hex . Gotta love those help books. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
Congradulations for being the first female whom knows what a Torx bolt looks like,many male people call it a 'star' in error. They have not yet been to correctioning school!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts