Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's been a small rash of home invasions and burglaries in my neck of the woods. A few days ago, someone showed up at my next door neighbor's house asking to use the phone because "someone" had been hurt in a hunting accident. This was an obvious scam ... no public hunting land nearby and about 20 other houses to choose from. Plus, the person showed up on foot and came around to the back door. They weren't even dressed appropriately for hunting. We're rural people. We know what warm hunting clothes look like.

So a quick survey of the burglarized homes in my area told me what I needed to know. Big, newer homes with well-manicured lawns. These homes look like the typical suburban McMansion, only more isolated. A number of the owners are not well-to-do people (I know them) but yet their homes were bought 30 years ago when land was cheap out here.

Crime is getting worse. People are getting more desperate and criminals are getting bolder. Gun laws are getting tighter. It's time to start "hiding in plain sight".

I have an old truck, broken down and looking miserable. I moved it around to the front of the house. I have some building supplies I was going to move up to the treeline but I decided to leave them sitting out front (nothing valuable, just scrap lumber) and cover them with a tarp. I have a couple of sets of old, worn-out rubber boots that I moved to sit on the front porch to look like someone just took them off to slip inside for a minute. My home is already an old farm house, so it doesn't look like one of those million dollar mansions. A few touches here and there and now we look like someplace that even law-abiding citizens don't want to go.

We're taking some other precautions as well. When my oldest son goes out to do his chores of a morning, he now takes the Great Pyr with him. At night I've started leaving more lights on outside. Everyone of an appropriate age in my household had a refresher lesson in where the firearms are stored and how to quickly access them. Of an evening I take a walk around the property, even the more remote places, to see and to be seen.

It might be time to do the same around your place.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
You know we've always left the keys in everything and the house unlocked...even with my neighbor....once they took our beer and a bottle of Seagrams but it was a Sunday and blue laws still....when we asked they admitted to it. Our dog had gotten loose and run off with their dog so both were locked up for the day...

But yeah....target practice....Beware of man-eating dog signs...we have a pyr too but thinking of getting a yipper house dog...My house is not a Mcmansion...but what I've got I'd like to keep...minus the neighbor!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Thanks for the reminders.. I am often accused of being too trusting..and I need reminding every now and then that everyone is not a nice person...

But as for the ******* look.. we got that down to a tee all the way to the outdoor tarp covered shower and old 1988 pick up truck out front and lordy all the dogs on the porch ( I love a stray).... lol

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Crime is getting worse. People are getting more desperate and criminals are getting bolder. Gun laws are getting tighter. It's time to start "hiding in plain sight".

I have an old truck, broken down and looking miserable. I moved it around to the front of the house. I have some building supplies I was going to move up to the treeline but I decided to leave them sitting out front (nothing valuable, just scrap lumber) and cover them with a tarp. I have a couple of sets of old, worn-out rubber boots that I moved to sit on the front porch to look like someone just took them off to slip inside for a minute. My home is already an old farm house, so it doesn't look like one of those million dollar mansions. A few touches here and there and now we look like someplace that even law-abiding citizens don't want to go.

We're taking some other precautions as well. When my oldest son goes out to do his chores of a morning, he now takes the Great Pyr with him. At night I've started leaving more lights on outside. Everyone of an appropriate age in my household had a refresher lesson in where the firearms are stored and how to quickly access them. Of an evening I take a walk around the property, even the more remote places, to see and to be seen.

It might be time to do the same around your place.
We've been doing just about the same things for a little over a year now. Around here went down down hill when the scrap metal prices went up so high.
There have been thieves stealing all sorts of stuff from neighboring properties, air conditioners, all the copper they could rip out of the homes, one older home was completely stripped of its alum siding!
My DH & I came home from work that day and that home was just a pink shell. VERY scary! Luckily we have vinyl siding...

We also try to make sure that we don't have a routine. We never go grocery shopping on the same day of the week We'll occasionally get in the car, leave, wait a few minutes and come right back.. anything to make us unpredictable.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
I just realized a positive feature of our house/property. We have a long, straight driveway (1/4 mile long). We worry that it is not "defensible", but reading this thread I realize that it does offer an advantage- with visibility to the road, and with parking out of sight behind the house, it is unlikely that thieves would drive all the way in to check it out. And, if they did, they would be met by three jumping Ridgebacks and a Black Lab.

·
WV , hilltop dweller
3,613 Posts
LOL!! I have just been beating myself up that my property is looking sooo "cluttered"! I never was offered something free that I did not think eventually I'd find a use for, so there are piles of this in that all over.Guess I need one of them cars up on blocks to go with the large dogs, ducks running around and piles of wood. With a lil effort I can get a real "Wrong Turn" sort of flavor...yup WV that's me!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I just realized a positive feature of our house/property. We have a long, straight driveway (1/4 mile long). We worry that it is not "defensible", but reading this thread I realize that it does offer an advantage- with visibility to the road, and with parking out of sight behind the house, it is unlikely that thieves would drive all the way in to check it out. And, if they did, they would be met by three jumping Ridgebacks and a Black Lab.
Not necessarily a deterrent. People will drive back anyway, thinking you aren't home, and start snooping around.

Funny you bring up this subject. I've been working on clearing out our 'Kentucky Wonderland' - no offense meant to anyone in Kentucky, it's just a descriptive term - for three years now and FINALLY got all the usable junk hidden behind a new privacy fence. The rest I tried to put out in the trash, but someone snuck it back to another hiding place before I noticed. Someone around these parts has a hard time letting go of non-functioning mechanical object. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
We had something similar to this the other night. I was woke up by some lights out by the road. There's been some cable being installed down there so I figured it was the construction guys and ignored it and went back to bed. For about a half hour they kept shining lights back and forth. Finally I heard footsteps on the gravel outside and looked out my window and saw 2 strange men going up to my parents porch. I grabbed my light and gun and headed outside. I peeked around the corner and demanded "who the heck is out here" They both shined their lights in my direction and said they were from the bank. I said in a angry tone "It's almost 4 in the dang morning you ain't from any bank and gets those danged lights off me or I'll shoot, I don't care if you are standing next to a propane tank" It's amazing how quick two flashlights can be turned off! They stayed polite but nervous and said "No mam we really are from the bank we have to repo a 04 surburban" Turns out sure enough they were from the bank. They were looking for my neighbors though and got the wrong place. They saw my parents tahoe in the yard. Even had different colors similer but different in the daylight. They were nice enough to thank me for not shootin:D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I might have shot them anyway lol...

I am disabled and almost always home, so that makes me feel better about snoopers than before when I was gone all day. We are at the end of a dead-end road, so I'm suspicious of anyone I don't recognize, and I've run plenty of them off with my .44 and a loud voice.

Don't have to try very hard to Hillbilly it up. Already that way around here.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
We don't have much and what we have probably nobody in their right mind would bother to carry off. DH is a pack rat in frozen mode, as he keeps everything he's ever been given and doesn't move it for maybe 20 or 30 years, if then. So, yea, we're true to the hillbilly theme here without even trying. He finally did get rid of the old pushmower that was parked up against the back of the house, oh about 1985. No kidding, it was rusting in place. Even kept an old metal washpan over the motor, like that was going to help.. :D

Time doesn't mean much to DH.. :)

·
Registered
13,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hillbilly theme just sort of happens when you ain't looking. I think it's a normal part of homesteading. However it can be used to your advantage.

There are people who will come to your house looking for stuff to steal regardless of its value, and there are also people who just come with the intent to hurt you. However if I can keep just a couple of them moving on down the road then I'll feel better.

TexasArtist, you're more trusting than I am. I'm afraid I probably would have dropped one of them the minute they turned the lights on me.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
i had read some place, to buy a very large pair of mens boots and a gun magazine, place them by your door,,,would give them something to think about, i hope

·
Cactus Farmer/Cat Rancher
1,974 Posts
Right now my place is pretty well hidden in a pine tree grove. No one can see it from the road and the driveway consist of a trail through an old farm pasture. The mobile home is as far from a McMansion as one can get and there are no fewer than three beat up old Ford pickups parked behind it. There is very little of anything of value in the house, most of the furniture is freebie stuff along with the TV and most of the computers. The only stuff that is really worth anything is my bow and my gun collection. All in all I think I have the hillbilly look down pretty well :)

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
When I lived down the hill at the old house, I was close to Hwy 101. So when folks would break down or claim to need to use a phone, I would have my pistol in one hand behind my back and my phone in another. I had a few folks come around using that routine over the 17+ years I lived there. They received the greeting that they didn't expect.

The Friday of the start of this last Labor Day Weekend, I had someone drive down my private road and light up the backside of my house from the lower end of the circular driveway. I went out and the motion activated light on the corner of the house kicked on showing me with a .30-06 rifle, and the trespassers left in a hurry. So I had to start locking my gate on the private road. Plus I installed some motion detector items and wireless B&W cameras to watch the road going thru the trees.

Maybe I should hang up some old beer kegs shot full of holes, like the shrunken heads in the Indiana Jones movies, to deter the curious from coming onto the property uninvited...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I met an old guy in the feed store he was buying 12 guage 00 buck , someone had cleaned out his workshop , (farm type ) he let them have a load of bird shot but the sherriff told him to get something " a little heavier " the sheriff told him they are coming out of the cities looking for easier meat , If they pick the wrong place roun here they won't have to worry where their next hit of crack comes from ..

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
this is a not totally related, but i will put it out there. i leave the keys in my car on purpose. i figure if anyone is desperate enough to steal a car, they may as well have it without entering my home and shooting me for the keys. i've never had a car worth more than $1500, so i can take that lose as an insurance policy against home invassion for the purpose of getting a ride. i live near the edge of a forest where folks from two different "bad boy" camps could emerge if they were on the run. i don't think they have ever come this way when they have escaped in the past, but i figure offering my car is a good gesture. :)

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Don't forget to run around your front lawn once in a while just in your underwear, carrying a shotgun, and mumbling out loudly. Make your neighbors think your too d*^ crazy.

·
Knitting Rocks!
5,783 Posts
As far as I know nothing like that is going on around here.
But, when we first moved here folks were all the time just wandering up. We installed "beware of dog" signs and "private property" signs down on the front, it is a 1/4 mile of very rough driveway to our house, plus the added pleasure of passing through my neighbors property (on both sides of the road) That is not just hillbillied up,,, it is rednecked out! junk, junk and more junk.

If someone gets as far as our next gate, then they have 4 pyrs to converse with... then if further than that I have a nice sawed of shotgun that is quick to grab and load. I just love that "click" sound it makes. :D

I have seen hands up in the air in a hurry when I appear with the gun and my dogs are going nuts.... lol!

So... if they make it this far they must be serious, and they will find out I am too.

·
Registered
7,883 Posts
Good post/thread Ernie.
And with times as they are I'm afraid its going to get worse and worse.
Kinda had to chuckle when I got a letter from a stranger saying in effect "We were in your neighbor hood (wanting to talk about the bible) but didn't go past the no trespassing sign" . . . .
those folks are in the absolute minority who will respect any signage.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts