hill climbing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by caberjim, Mar 22, 2004.

1. caberjim

caberjim Stableboy III

Question about hill-climbing/hauling vehicles. We're considering a homestead that has an additional 3-4 acre pasture on top of a hill behind the house. The path up to this area is around a hundred yards long with about a 40 degree incline with a U bend in it and about 10-12 feet wide. Seems too steep to run a tractor up to it on a daily basis w/o 4 wheel drive and lots of front weights. I will need to transport feed, perhaps occasional water, equipment, whatever up to this area, and back down again. I have been thinking about using a JD 4x6 gator or similar type of vehicle - low center of gravity, good length and weight. Can anyone give me some feedback on how these would handle the incline? Or any other thoughts you might have.

Thanks,

jim

2. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I'd recommend a Polaris Ranger 6x6. I have a neighbor who has one (as well as a neighbor with a gator 4x6). I've used both. The Ranger definately performs better on hills.

I can't speak to maintenance.

Mike

3. Emily Nouvertne

Emily Nouvertne Well-Known Member

Jim,
    We live on a big hill, one of the highest hills in our county, we have a JD 4x6 Gator and love it. We are not sure how we would do anything without it. The only real set back we have is in the snow. My husband had turf tires put on it when we bought it and I imagine if we had different tires on it we could do more with it in the winter. When it rains we have fescue grass and clay so you have to be careful when the terrain is wet as it gets really slippery.

But in general, it does a great job getting up and down the hills with water, hay, & people. A lot of fun to have around!
    If I can be of more assistance, you can PM me.
    Emily

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Guest knows who should be in charge........Make them come to the Food!!!....Let them come too YOU......fordy... :eek: :)

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

After dealing with an antique '47 Farmall MD for a number of years, we splurged on a New Holland compact with 4 wheel drive, and it's been the most heavenly thing we've ever done for ourselves on the farm. Even I can operate it easily... in fact, it's MY TRACTOR hehehe, j/k. Our place is really hilly too, but it does a great job, and I don't have to torture my jeep anymore :D