Highlands vs Belties

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by bill not in oh, Jul 31, 2004.

1. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Anyone raising Belted Galloways? I'm wanting some cattle for our farm (small acreage) that are cold hardy and excellent browsers. I'll be turning 5 acres of forested land into pasture over the next 2-3 years and would like some help from cattle. Guess I could get some goats, but I don't have a market for goat meat; and have been told that milk goats are better browsers - I'm not milkin' goats!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Angus can stand the worst weather Ohio has to offer with little more than a wind break. They are easier to find when you want to buy, and bring more when you are ready to sell.

3. Janene in TX

Janene in TX Member

My dad raised Belties before he retired. They are an great dual-purpose breed (for meat & to milk) with nice laid-back attitudes & nice color (eye-candy!) to boot!! :) They stand up to cold weather quite well--my folks are in SE Nebraska. Some folks breed the Beltie cows to Angus or something more 'meaty' to get heavier weaned weight calves. I know they have a website...just do a search on them. Good luck!!

4. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

There were three of the 'Oreo" cows in a group I purchased one year. One thing I noticed about them is all three would be out grazing while the rest were lounging in the trees. They would also make the cars slow down along the road.

Story about one of them. She slipped through during worming and vaccinations. To get her I used the stringe on the end of a pole device I have. Couldn't get close enough in the pasture so I spread out some range cubes by the truck. When the cows came around I slipped around the front of the truck and got her. After that she had a bad attitude towards the truck. I think she thought the truck is what stuck her.

Ken Scharaobk