Highland cows

Discussion in 'Dairy' started by rileycows, Apr 17, 2017.

1. rileycows

rileycows Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever milked a Highland cow? I have one that im planning to calf share and would like any info. Thanks

2. Vernitta

Vernitta Well-Known Member

I'm currently milking a 1/2 Highland 1/2 Jersey and calf sharing. I separate the calf over night and milk in the morning. I'm taking 1/2 a gallon a day.

ShannonR likes this.

3. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

IMHO, the Jersey part is increasing your milk output about a gallon a day and helps with the temperament about 200%.

4. rileycows

Hi Vernitta, thank you!

5. rileycows

haypoint, the jersey part may be increasing the milk output but as for the temperment, you cant find a more laid back than yhe Highland! I worked with jerseys, holsteins and shorthorns growing up and the steers and bulls wete almost psycotic at times and you didnt go near a holstein with a calf unless you had a cattleprod in hand.

ShannonR likes this.
  6. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

Jersey blood isn't much of an improvement to ANY bovine's temperment..... hands down, in all of my years being around cattle (have been aroud them since I was a toddler) Jerseys have the WORST attitude of them all....they really take the cake, too smart for their own good.

I personally like the Highland attitude, much preferable to Jersey.

7. Yellowsnow

Yellowsnow Well-Known Member

I'm guessing those of you talking about a Jersey's attitude haven't been around a real Angus.

But then again, like every other animal out there, the diversity within the breed is wide and far.