Higher propane prices

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mudwoman, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Just stopped to tell the propane guys to stop this month and top off the tanks. We do this every Aug as the price is as good as it gets. Last year we paid less than $1 per gallon. Today's rate is $1.41. Prepay rate is almost $1.60. We paid around $1.30 for prepay last year. We put in an additional tank for the house so that we don't have to prepay and hope that we will make it a year on the 2 tanks. The lady that runs the office said she has worked there for 15 years and she has never seen prices this high in Aug ever.

Another post talks about 51 record lows. We have not had a bad summer at all. 54 degrees yesterday morning here in middle Arkansas.

Thank goodness we have a wood stove.

Ahh.........but we have NO inflation Mr Greenspan says.

Charlee

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

A subject after my own heart as Today a NEW Propane company was here to do a pressure test so they can start to deliver propane. I have always been upset at reading about other state's prices cheaper as we do a lot of drilling here (Arkansas) for gas.

I called The company and they gave me a new customer price of $1.21 per gal and a prepay of $129.00. ( no delivery survice charge)

One tank full is all we use (500 gal) so I told her to wait a few mins and I would call them back.

Called my regular supplier (3 years) asked price and it is $1.59 plus a service charge (as usual).

Then he went into a speech as to how propane prices never went down this summer and with the price of oil they are only going to go up yadda yadda yadda.

I thanked him and told him not to deliver until I called him.

Called the New company up and they are going to be my supplier now.

one month ago I paid $175.00 for 100 gals from the old supplier and that is why I started searching.

OBTW the "Other" supplier in this area has the same high price. Might be they are related I don't know

The New Company I am going with is AMERIGAS

3. Had my tank filled last week here in north central Tennessee for 99.9 went ahead and pre-paid for another 300 gal at $119.9 . Some local suppliers are getting $149.9 for summer fillups. Pays to shop around.
    Mike

4. texican

texican Well-Known Member

I didn't realize propane had risen that far. I have several of the 5 gallon bottles for the grill, welding, and backup purposes. My natural gas is free and legal...but it's always good to know what the real world prices are, so I can gauge how much money I'm saving each month.

I know this is probably an unpopular position, but I wish Natural gas prices would more closely mirror crude oil prices...as I get royalty off gas wells...if the price "were" as high as crude, I could work a lot less.

5. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Gosh, I should have guessed it was going to be bad prices this year. Thanks for the warning. It usually takes us 3 tanks full to get through our bad winters, but we prepay and that helps a lot. Our home insurance company doesn't allow stoves or fireplaces so it may be a cold winter here in this house. BTW, have you noticed food prices going nuts at the grocery store? Some recovering economy!

6. Guest Too

Guest Too Active Member

OKLAHOMA...where the wind comes sweeping down the
    Propane is running $1.30/gal with a $.10 early buy discount here in southern OK.
    I paid $.96/gal last year. :(

7. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

We just had our tank topped off this morning; $1.39 a gallon. We used 90 gallons last year which is a bit more than we thought but still okay. We heat and cook with wood so the LP is just a night time or anytime back-up.

It's nice to know that if we would have to leave for a few days that the house won't freeze up.

The wood cookstove felt good this morning. We're expecting a daytime high of 53 today in Northern Minnesota.

8. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

I pre paid for 1000 gal at 89 cents per gallon. No delivery charges as they have to come out here anyway to fill the USFS's water tank heaters so the animals have water during winter.