Homesteading Forum banner

High tunnel

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  random 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I will be building my own high tunnel soon. I would have bought a kit but I have plenty of new lumber..I had bought for a garage.. but decided not to build it. Instead I’m gonna use it on my high tunnel. I live in eastern kentucky. And plan on selling to farmers markets. But was told a big green house opened up 30 mins from me.. I think they grow tomatoes or hemp I’ll check into it . But if I tried to sell tomatoes. How many of you think it would be a lost cause? To even start one? With that big one near me? Or any ideas what crops sell good in my area. I hope someday to make this a full time job. Really kinda bummed out. On it mabe I can find another crop?

#7 ·
Start with the basics: what experience do you have with growing tomatoes--and what experience do you have growing them in a greenhouse? What experience do you have in marketing and advertising?
Good point - if you've never grown tomatoes before (not assuming that, just making a point), growing them for the first in a high tunnel will add additional challenges. Use a crop you're already familiar with to get started.
Tomatoes sell for $1.50/lb at Walmart....If you could match that, you'd have to sell 4000lb to make $6000...How many tomato plants would that take? How big a greenhouse?....Is it worth it?
Everyone at the farmers markets sells tomatoes, cucumbers, squash - doesn't make sense to try to compete, especially at the prices you can bring in. Personally, I specialize in hot peppers. Less competition, especially for the specialty ones, that bring in more per pound.

#5 ·
We have two local farmer's markets in town. One sets up on the square and they sell everything from homemade pies to junk jewelry to produce. They require you to have a business license, pay a fee and join their association.
The other is set up in the Farm Extension parking lot; this is where the local farmers and homesteaders sell produce only. It is free and open to anyone. They are a jovial bunch and very friendly.
On a typical morning they may be 8-10 vendors there selling tomatoes. Their business is dictated by their reputation and by the quality of the product. A few of them arrive with trucks and trailers containing dozens of tubs of produce.
If 8 vendors are already selling tomatoes, what is going to make your tomatoes better?
It isn't a lost cause, but it is a formula to sit all day in the heat and come home with $15.

I would suggest growing an assortment of produce and then keying on one or two that may be unique.
Go visit your locals markets and spend some time, so you know and understand what you need to do now. Our markets will sell until the frost so it isn't too late to learn a little before next spring.

Or you can set up a table and tent by the side of the road, but there is a reason why you always see a McDonald's next to a Hardees next to a Taco Bell.

#6 ·
Tomatoes sell for $1.50/lb at Walmart....If you could match that, you'd have to sell 4000lb to make $6000...How many tomato plants would that take? How big a greenhouse?....Is it worth it?

They say crime doesn't pay, but you gotta admit, the hours are good.

#8 ·
Usually commercial growers grow hybrid production tomatoes. There might be a market for heirloom tomatoes, or not. You'd need to do some market research as others have mentioned. Heirlooms are more difficult to grow (diseases, pest, etc) and don't produce as consistently as hybrids most commercial places grow, so knowing what you're doing and being reasonable on your expectations are a must, I'd think. Here our mom and pop grocery store buys and sells locally grown heirloom produce. I'm not sure what they buy heirloom tomatoes for, but they sell them for $5/lb. Seeing as some of my heirlooms are a pound per tomato, and I love growing tomatoes, the thought of giving it a go has crossed my mind.

Having said that, most of the Youtubers I watch that are market growers say the money is in salad greens/baby leaf crops. Quick crop, more than one harvest per sowing if done right, and simple to grow.

#10 ·
Having said that, most of the Youtubers I watch that are market growers say the money is in salad greens/baby leaf crops. Quick crop, more than one harvest per sowing if done right, and simple to grow.
Interesting point there, hadn't thought of that. I'll have to look into greens, it appears.

Probably not collards, though. EVERYONE sells collards around here. Even the dogs down the road...

#9 ·
One grower we know that faithfully works the markets has a 36'x96' high tunnel. He sells at the outdoor market, to local grocers and has built up his reputation over a long period. He does tomatoes but has a big market share so I would call him an exception.
Another guy and his wife were growing micro greens for sale to restaurants in the city. They were doing a booming business and then the wuflu came, the eateries shut down, and he had a massive inventory with no buyers.
So he came to the farmers markets. He had never sold to the public before.
He struggled a bit this summer and will be listing a huge loss to Uncle Sam next year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.