High salt in new well

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by kabri, Oct 21, 2006.

1. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

:grump: Well drillers just reach water at 260 feet at our property, 20 GPM! but full of salt! We are several miles at least from Hood Canal, and thee well site is at 600 ft elevation. Dang.... our options are: hook up a generator and pump a bunch of water out (weeks worth!) to see if it will clear out and see if the county would approve a reverse osmosis system, or spend a ton more money and drill in another place and HOPE there is fresh water. This really sets us back in our timing to build and move :Bawling:

What would you do?

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Can you drill deeper in the same hole looking for a fresh water sand?

3. kabri

At this point, no because they size of the hole is too small, not enough room to seal off the salt area and leave room to keep going down. Don't I wish!

4. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

You might want to contact your STate Geologist and see if there are salt deposits underground in your area BEFORE you consider drilling another hole. Also possibly check with your neighbors and see if they experienced the same problem at any time.

5. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

You already have the well drilled, BTW I would study how they make seawater drinkable, not sure on the technical term, but they boil the water and the steam would condensate and run down the ceiling to a holding tank, and it's drinkable(the salt stays in the boiling tank)

6. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

7. kabri

Oops, that's one piece of info I forgot - there ARE NO other wells for miles in the area. :help: We are sort of pioneers here :shrug:

On ships (my dad grew up on boats in AK - he knew about the seawater thing) they use reverse osmosis. I did not know of the boiler possibility - I'll research that too because power to run a desalinator will be at a premium since we will also be off the grid. The "grid" is too far away for us to afford to hook up to it!

8. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

U must pump out a new well before you can consider using it. A week seem rather long, but it cant hurt anything. I had a new well drilled and I didnt have the money to run a line and buy a pump to do that, so heck knows what ill end up with. You can redrill, but, and, was it witched, the well you dug? anyway, if you want to re witch to a new spot at least 50ft away, and if you can find the source and direction of flow in that area, drill above the one you drilled, but dont go any lower than say 200ft.

9. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I have 3 wells on my property (central Illinois). Two wells have very hard water with lots of iron. The third well is salty! They aren't 400 yards apart. All about the same depth (65 feet). So there is hope for non-salty nearby!

Kathie

10. kabri

Thamk you everyone for your replies!

11. sssarawolf

sssarawolf Well-Known Member

My dh says drill though it further down and see what u get.