High blood pressure

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jillianjiggs, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

Something to try is flax seed oil. Grind the seed, and add it to your food. Keep in mind though that you don't need a heck of a lot (a couple tablespoons a day) and that heat destroys the good oils. It's great in yogurt or in smoothies.

2. All country

All country Well-Known Member

I usually have good blood pressure readings except when pregnant.

I am not pregnant, but noticed I was beginning to feel the way I do when it gets high.

I have a normal (for me) reading of 105/60.

I have had a bit of stress lately and using an asthma medicine that I sometimes react to. I am seldom bothered by asthma at all any more, but the weather pressure changes brought on by hurricanes seem to effect me even in northern Indiana :shrug:

Yesterday it was 154/94. To bring it down when I was pregnant, I used garlique supplements, and ate 3 stalks of celery a day and it worked. Also making sure that I sleep on my right side. I started that last night, in addition, I started walking tonight and have the alarm set for a 6 a.m. walk tomorrow. It was down a little bit today, but still way too high. Flax seed ground into my morning kefir shake is something else I will try. I am sure losing a bit of weight wouldn't hurt. My Dad has recently lost 30 pounds and is now off his blood pressure medicine.

I know that it does take a little longer to bring it down naturally, but it can be done.

3. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

I agree with the poster who suggested you make certain that you have high blood pressure. ON my last visit to the VA Clinic, my blood pressure was taken three different times within 30 minutes and resulted in three different readings - from normal to high. Consequently, I have little faith in modern blood pressure measuring devices.

My mother used odorless garlic capsules (very economical at http://www.puritan.com) and they worked wonders. If think if I actually DID have HBPO I would try this route first. Also, if you have high cholesteral, Red Rice Yeast (also from Puritan's Pride), works very, very well at lowering it without drugs.

Best of luck!

donsgal

4. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

If you are overweight then lose weight (easier said than done I know) and increase your exercise level. From what I have been reading lately they are finding that cutting sodium, unless you are consuming an ungodly amount of it, has little effect on lowering your blood pressure.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Asparagus Extract from www.herbalhealer.com is excellent for high blood pressure. Usually, it will regulate the blood pressure, (kidneys are filters and when they get clogged they are unable to regulate the body fluids properly) if not, then the high blood pressure is probably related to arterial build up. So then you would find a product for that.

But you say what you have been using hasn't worked in a week, if you are using natural products, they do take longer. That's why most people end up using the stuff prescribed by the doctors. But they are worth it, many times they cure the problem and you don't have to take the product forever.

6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Another vote for losing a few pounds and exercising. My blood pressure was creeping up to the 130/80 level, and that finally convinced me to lose a few pounds and start an exercise program this Summer. It's down to 110/70 now, and I feel much better. Good luck in whatever treatment you choose, but don't let it go untreated!

7. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

Get rid of stress!!!!!!!!! This is so important! For about the last 6 yrs my 'normal' blood pressure has been 200/110 (I just turned 34). I think I've been on just about every med they make....and had bad side effects on most of them. If you do end up going on meds ask to try clonidine. It's a older med that is not very expensive, acutally works and has very low side effects. Docs don't like it because it is not long lasting....in other words you may have to take more than one dose a day to keep enough in your system to work. Currently I'm on......nothing....nadda ....zilch. Finally got rid of some of the major stress in my life and my blood pressure has gone down to averaging 135/80. As a result of the reduction of stress I lost about 15 pounds...without dieting and I went from a 3 month diabetic number of 9 down to a 6(scale goes from 1-10..10 being the highest, 6 being normal). Stress will literally kill you.

8. christy

christy Well-Known Member

First, high blood pressure is something to take very seriously. It is not called the silent killer for no reason. Things to help with lowering your B/P is number 1 and probably the most important is walking. Losing weight if needed, decreasing stress and taking your medication if that is called for. Also heard of a study recently that taking 2 teaspoons of cinnonmon(sp) in any form will lowere your B/P as well as other things.

9. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

High Blood pressure is not something to play around with---my sister was 58, trying to get hers down the natural supplement way when she dropped dead with a major heart attack. Doctors want your blood pressure to be under 120/70 these days. And they tell me those automatic blood pressure machines at the pharmacies are "fairly" accurate, but you do need to take it more than once in a blue moon. If you are in doubt---see your doctor--don't wait to drop dead.

10. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

Here is what has worked for me.
    I've lowered my bottom number by 25pts since May. I was about to be put on meds. I was only about 12lbs overweight and had walked 5 days a week forever. I gradually increased my walking to running and down it went, then I changed my diet a little. I run for 15-20 minutes on Sat., 30 minutes on Sunday, off on Mon. , 20min on Tues/Wed, off thurs, fri..... I started out running just a couple of minutes at a time and built up. I'll list my diet below in case your interested, its not perfect, but its worked for me and it isn't a gimmicky type of thing, just watching portion sizes. I'm a 36 year old male and I never thought I'd get back to a 30 inch waist and see my blood pressure go back down. Good luck

My basic meals are a bowl of cheerios in skim milk for breakfast, a handful of peanuts, apple, banna, carrots for lunch and about anything I want for supper as long as I watch my serving sizes, I've been doing this by putting my supper in microwaveable dishes that have sections. Main course goes in the big section, veggies in the smaller 2 sections then I usually have a big glass of skim milk before bed. I also drink water throughout the day. But on Friday night, I go out and eat what and all I want, usually a Mexican buffet and I sometimes have a fastfood lunch on Saturday. On Sunday, after my long run, I have a big chocalate long john doughnut. And throughout everyday, I am drinking 3 cups of coffee, which is reduced from my previous 4 cup a day habbit. And if for some reason I don't have time for my normal supper anyday throughout the week, I have a 6 inch subway sub.

11. Jc05

Jc05 Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to sound like walking was bad. Like my doctor said, walking is just as good as running, but you need to do more of it. He said something like an hour and a half of walking= 20 minutes of running and I didn't want to spend that much time walking.

12. billygoatridge

billygoatridge Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I definitely could stand to loose some weight, but like someone said easier said than done. I'm insulin resistant and the only way of eating that makes me loose weight is low carb, but I get sick of only low carb food. It's been such a long hot summer I got out of the habbit of walking, but now that It's cooling down in the evening maybe I can get back to it. I'll stay on the natural stuff for another month and see if it helps. My top # has dropped from 140+ to 130 +/- a couple. I have my own cuff at home so I'm usually relaxed when I take it. Well I guess I should get off here and go walk.

13. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

Being insulin resistant myself I can SO relate. It seems that everything about a low glyco diet is contrary to everything I eat! How can anyone possibly enjoy eating low carb? My question is...If I have to give up what I love and eat what I hate, what's the use? Who wants to live like that? I'd rather be fat and happy!

donsgal
    currently fat and happy - pass those potatoes!