High Blood Pressure !!!!

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by FiddleKat, Jan 11, 2007.

1. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

I went to the doctors the other day, and was on time for my appointment. They didn't take me in until 15 min. past my appointment time.
    Took my blood pressure and they said it was 144/90 and the nurse said that was a little high.
    Its usually a little high when I go to the doctors anyway, because Im tensed up.
    I waited another 45 minutes for the doctor to come in. Which aggravated me inmensly!! My appointment was for 2:30 and I didn't see the doctor until 3:45. She comments my blood pressure was a little high and wants to take it again. Its now 150/104. I felt like saying "of course its high, Im on the urge of a coronary here from the wait!" But I didn't. Probably should have.

Ask her about my heel spur which I figured I had from going online to WebMD. Never looks at my foot or anything. Just took by BP and asked a bunch of questions.
    Told me to get heel cups for the heels, and come back in six weeks for a full checkup.

And yes, this is my first visit with the doctor as Im a new patient and had to set up a "New Patient Visit" first before they could see me for anything else.
    We have no insurance either, and got on a sliding scale fee. So I had to pay $15. But now she wants me back in 6 weeks to do the check up and Im sure they're expecting another $15 bucks.

No wonder I had high blood pressure!!!

2. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If I were you, I would go to a Walgreens or some other drug store and ask when their B/P machine was last calibrated. If you find one that has been calibrated in the last month or perhaps the last 2 months, take your blood pressure.

If it is up, it is up. If not, good. Because a few patients DO get high blood pressure in the doctors office.

But, DO ask about the calibration. A few places literally never have their equipment checked!

3. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

I think thats called the "White Coat" syndrome. My dad has the same problem with his blood pressure, at one family get together we asked my cousin (a RN) to take his blood pressure. It was normal! I would also try taking your blood pressure at the drug store.

4. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

A lot of people have "White Coat" syndrome, but that doesn't mean you don't need to watch it.Be careful of the store blood pressure machine.I got blood on me from one.Afterwards the store clerk wiped it and it was just nasty.I don't think they ever clean those things. :flame:

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Yeah those machines make me kinda nervous. Because you never know what kind of person is who used it last. Maybe Im germphobic or something.

6. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

When we lived back in MA, there was not enough parking for hospital and docs/staff and doctors offices there and they were in the process of building a car garage which took up more of the old parking.

I went in one day, not feeling, well, etc. and my bp was up a little and the nurse just said "i guess you circled around the parking lot a few too many times" - they knew it was such a horra!

try bring a book next time or a seed catalog.

Here in our rural town the wait at the docs is very, very long and i'm almost starting to get used to it - i just bring fun stuff to read.

7. swampgirl

swampgirl Well-Known Member

Heel cups don't usually work & they hurt. Since most heel spurs are caused by osteophytes(little boney deposits) building up at spots where tendons rub, one needs to relieve some tension on the heel tendon. This can be done by stretching exercises & by raising the arch of the foot. Purchase a pair of Spenco Orthotic Arch Supports(about $24) then take them to a shoe/sports store. Fit them into a good tennis shoe, like a New Balance. Make sure they fit well with the orthotics in. Then start wearing them. First few days, your spurs will hurt worse, but eventually you will get relief.

8. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Fiddle,

Similar to what Wind in Her Hair said. My Doctor says that blood pressure fluctuates in response to a lot of things and only by frequently checking and recording can the Dr. characterize the trend. I have a BP machine at home. It's very easy to use and unless you're at near a DR or a Walmart more often than I am you should probably have one. I doubt your BP would be at the numbers you stated soley based on "White Coat Hypertension" if you leave it undiagnosed or untreated you're constantly overstressing and potentially damaging your heart.

The treatment is usually medication although diet and exercise can be helpful. Please follow up with your Dr on this this.