Hide working as profit

Discussion in 'How-To Threads of the past' started by jimmy588, Oct 3, 2017.

1. jimmy588

jimmy588 Well-Known Member

So I have butchered and processed a New Zealand meat rabbit, I have the hide cured scraped and yolked, now after washing off the yolk after 36 hrs I have the hide supple.
    Fast forward to when I am going to sell it and it's dried out in places and no longer supple after I sat it in a towel in my car for 5 hrs.
    I cured with salt and sprinkled borax on the hide to repel bugs for 2 days and scraped after that to pull loose fat off before shampoo and yolk. Now here I am with a not so supple hide.

HELP ME?

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

LOL I read this as Hide your working profit LOL

3. jimmy588

Noooooo, that is funny though, no I mean animal hide working.

I haven't gotten any help so I just took to what has taught me what I know so far, reading.
    However the human elements of acquiring knowledge in a trade skill is more valuable, I have had to turn to books and poorly detailed how-to videos to get my answer since there isn't a homestead minded person on this entire community that can answer.

4. jimmy588

So due to lack of respondents for actual leather/hide working in this community I gave up on this post

5. jimmy588

It seems that not quite all the moisture was drawn out in 3 days and the yolk didn't do as I understood it to (or I missed a step) Either way now to answer my question; I have run (skin side down) the furred hide over the back of a wooden chair where the shoulders rest, I use a fan to blow air at me so the fur that let's loose and flies stays in the air off me. I did this on a chair with soft angled edges and that loosened up the fur.
    (Pics soon)
    Now I'm waiting for 100% dryness to repeat the motion again and finally finish the hide for use with clothing as trim on edges