Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Furry Without A Clue
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having problems for several days now. I have a kind of sore spot under my jaw...hurts to swallow a bit. Have also noticed a kind of pressure or ache in my neck, some palpitations and chest pain.

I have anxiety problems, so usually blow the palpitations off. I finally got to thinking, could I have a hidden dental infection? I've had no recent dental pain, but unfortunately I'm not in the best of dental health.

Could I have a hidden infection going on? Should I make a trip to an ER or just contact doctor/dentist?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I wouldn't even take the chance...get to the ER. Pain in your jaw and neck with chest pain is nothing to take lightly. It very well could be something in your mouth(given the tenderness under your jaw) or another infection...but don't take the chance. You can find that info out later.

·
Registered
415 Posts
With your statement of............." I have a kind of sore spot under my jaw...hurts to swallow a bit. Have also noticed a kind of pressure or ache in my neck, some palpitations and chest pain." You need to go to the ER now!! With those symptoms you need checked out! Go Now!

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
Neck pain is nothing to fool with( just had open heart surgery-double bypass- almost a year ago now).Better get checked.Good luck and let us know what happens , please

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've heard of people coming near to death due to dental infection. Like everyone else said "GO NOW!" Worry about the bills later.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
sounds like a swollen lymph node. i have had those before. it means there is an infection in your body. do you feel sick? runny nose...cough?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My husband had the exact same scenario. I took him to the emergency room and they did all the tests and then told him he may have lymphoma!!??

Took him to the dentist and he found a root canal gone bad, actually into the bone.
After quite a bit of dental work he was completely well. All symptoms went away within a month.

Leave no stone unturned. The situation you relate sounds serious.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
While it could be an infection, I would err on the side of caution and go to the ER. Women do not always get "typical" chest pain, and after 12 years on a medic I have seen quite a few "jaw pains" end up as something more serious. If you called me as 911 your butt would be on my stretcher, hooked to an EKG and going to an emergency room, especially with chest pains and palpitations to boot. Don't mean to scare you, just need you to see a "bigger picture." And if you get there and it turns out to be an infection, you will have a script for meds to make you all better, so it's a no-lose decision. Now quit reading these posts and get your rear end portion to the ER!!!

·
Furry Without A Clue
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The sore spot is directly under my tongue. No colds lately since I don't go out often. I'm 36, though I doubt age is relevant.

Just got out of the shower. If the road isn't too bad yet, I may head for the ER in Brookville.

ETA: Traffic seems to be moving ok, so I'll pop my shoes on and head out. I just haven't felt quite "right" the last few days, so better to find what's up than wind up in a world of hurt.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
Actually, age is more relevant than you would think. As we start getting older, the symptoms for heart attacks start getting a little less clear.

Be sure to tell them about the chest pains, too.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out. Thinking of you and saying a prayer.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My husband had the exact same scenario. I took him to the emergency room and they did all the tests and then told him he may have lymphoma!!??

Took him to the dentist and he found a root canal gone bad, actually into the bone.
After quite a bit of dental work he was completely well. All symptoms went away within a month.

Leave no stone unturned. The situation you relate sounds serious.
Would you share what work he had to have done? I am really hoping that this isn't what is wrong with a root canaled tooth I have.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Would you share what work he had to have done? I am really hoping that this isn't what is wrong with a root canaled tooth I have.
Of course I don't know about the case you're asking about, but I had a previously root-canaled tooth become infected. I had to have the root canal redone. It took two procedures - one to open and drain the tooth and then after a week of antibiotics the second procedure to finish up. I didn't lose the tooth but if it ever happens again I'll have it extracted. It was a very unpleasant experience, to put it mildly. :eek:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Of course I don't know about the case you're asking about, but I had a previously root-canaled tooth become infected. I had to have the root canal redone. It took two procedures - one to open and drain the tooth and then after a week of antibiotics the second procedure to finish up. I didn't lose the tooth but if it ever happens again I'll have it extracted. It was a very unpleasant experience, to put it mildly. :eek:
Wow! I guess I will definitely call the dentist Monday. There isn't something right going on with the tooth. I really don't like going to the dentist. Between the root canal and crown this is already a really expensive tooth.

·
Premium Member
3,582 Posts
Silent Crow, obviously as I am typing this you are at the ER. I am hoping and praying that you come home just feeling silly rather than it being something serious. But you did make the right decision to have things checked out. Let us know how things turn out for you.
God bless you and yours
Deb

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Wow! I guess I will definitely call the dentist Monday. There isn't something right going on with the tooth. I really don't like going to the dentist. Between the root canal and crown this is already a really expensive tooth.
Yep, I figure this one tooth is worth about $3000. :stars:

·
Furry Without A Clue
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm back.

Apparently my anxiety symptoms have decided to change and increase :rolleyes:

They did x-rays, lab work and an EKG, but everything is normal. Doc said the anxiety could be causing muscle spasms in my neck.

That was the good news. Bad news is, as I was approaching the driveway, I saw a fluffy gray spot in the road. Got my flashlight and walked back...It was our long haired gray kitty, Thunder [strongsad He was pretty mangled, so I didn't try to carry him back, but did get him out of the road. Now I have to tell my friend when he gets home from work.:(

Thanks everyone for the advise.

·
Furry Without A Clue
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dern that anxiety! Silentcrow, I hope you are able to get some help with the anxiety thing - sometimes we become our own worst enemies - anxiety can be sooo debilitating! Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, and the gold watch, too!

Anxiety takes anything thats the slightest bit out of the ordinary and blows it out of proportion and sends our fears spinning into hyerdrive. Our hearts start to race, we start to notice pain that otherwise we could shrug away, and we KNOW we are feeling something PHYSICAL happening to us - it cant all be in our mind - and we are experiencing SOMETHING organic, something REAL ,dern it - and then we start hyperventilating and panicking and then we rush to the ER and they tell us - "there's nothing wrong."
:eek:

But there IS! I FELT it! and its going to happen AGAIN! SOMETHING CATACLYSMIC! OR WORSE!!!!!

ARrrGggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

(I used to be sooooooooooo much fun) :nono:

Bless your heart. I hope you find some bio feedback or some other therapy that resolves your issues. I hope you will allow this to serve as a wakeup call to seek an answer for it -perhaps you already are. No one has to live in fear like this. I'm thankful that nothing seriously wrong was found, but you and I both know that the anxiety issues are indeed serious enough.

You are not alone.
I do see a doc for it, and have meds, but try not to use them too often. It took a while to find what works, but because of the addictive nature of it, I'm overly careful about using it.

What made things strange was that the symptoms changed. Usually I can deal with an attack, since I know what they are. This one got out of hand, I suppose, and lasted more than the 10-30 minutes I'm used to. I have an appointment in early Feb., so will let the doctor know what's going on.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
My DH had to have a tooth pulled that had been root canaled. He was not in any pain from it but apparently it had become infected even into the bone

THe bone was drilled out of infection (sorry don't know the technical terms)
and he took antibiotics.

This infection caused: chest pain, lymph swelling, severe pain in the neck,
constant headaches, and night sweats ( I assume from a mild fever).
But NO tooth pain. These symptoms were over a three month period but He was taken by ambulance to the ER for these symptoms when he woke up one morning unable to move his neck. He saw three Dr.'s, no diagnoses.

Surprisingly, a therapeutic massage therapist (took him for the neck pain) was the first person to suggest a dental infection. WHen we took him to The Dentist he knew immediately what was going on and took care of it right away.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts