hickory nuts

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by bonnie in indiana, Oct 17, 2005.

1. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

I can’t remember. My hickory nuts have worms. I know to bake them in the oven. At what temperature and for how long do I need to cook them to kill those pesky little suckers?

2. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I can't answer your question... maybe someone else can..... but I'm curious. What do you do with hickory nuts? I just gathered a gallon of them!

I've got them spread out right now to dry out. Some of them seemed dark, but I think it is just because they were wet. I noticed that the ones that had already fallen out of the shell (husk?) were much lighter colored.

I just didn't pick up the ones with worm holes. ALL of yours have worms???? I wonder why!?

3. bonnie in indiana

bonnie in indiana Well-Known Member

The worms get in there when they are green and eat the meat and then bore out. There is only one hole cause the INNY hole seals up cause the nut is still green.

Makes great fudge and cookies and bread. Lots of work.

4. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Oohhh! Then maybe mine still have the worm IN them??? Ugh. If that's the case, I'm pitching the whole darned bag.

I didn't think about fudge! That sounds good.

Lots of work because of having to shell them??

5. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

First you need to hull them. Do this as soon as possible after collecting. I've found that "swirling" them around in a bucket does pretty good at breaking off one or more (there are usually 4) hul segments. Then spread them out to dry.

We toss the nuts (in the shell) that have wormholes. We don't bake them in the oven, we air dry them on screens (1 layer deep).

Chris, you can eat the nuts. You can bake with them. Put them on top of french vanilla ice cream with a little honey dribbled on top. Use them in stuffing or dressing. Let your imagination run wild.

Mike

6. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

No no! Mail them to me! Freeze them briefly if you wnt them worm free?

7. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

LOL your nuts have worms......pmsl