Hickory King corn

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by TnMtngirl, Jul 22, 2005.

1. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Its the biggest corn I have ever seen,when do the ears appear?I see no sign of them on mine.It must be 8ft tall now and think I may need a chain saw to cut the stalks this fall.
    If only my sweet corn had done as well :confused:

2. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

The big stalks make it popular for fodder when I was growing up. It will probably get several feet higher. It's a later corn for us and since we're just getting the full thrust of Silver Queen right now, I wouldn't think HK would be nearly that far along.

As for the sweet corn--have you tried eating HK in its milk stage? There are people who prefer it to Silver Queen.

Ray

3. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I do plan on eating some if it ever makes ears,may need a ladder to pick'em tho.

4. shawnee

shawnee Well-Known Member

Hickory King; isn't that the corn they recommend for hominy and cornnuts? We planted sugar baby, an early corn, and it tassle out at about 2 ft.?!? I don't know if it got too hot too soon or what, but it has some ears on it (small but very, very sweet). Peaches and Cream to follow and it is tall. I have wanted to try Hickory King.

5. mulliganbush

mulliganbush Well-Known Member

It's all my grandmother and mother used. The husks come off easily and it makes pretty hominy. It's good for roasting ears--not boiled, but roasted. It's also what they used for support for the pole beans.

Ray

6. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

My corn supplier crashed this year. Next year I plant again.

Been using Kandy Corn. Brother told me that there was a better one, something called Funk's XXXX (a number). Anyone know that seed?

If not, what is your favorite sugar-enhanced or triple sweet corn?
    Ox