Hi from UK - Need moving advice!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rosie_h, Jun 17, 2017.

1. rosie_h

rosie_h New Member

Hi everyone! Hope it's okay to post this question here. My partner and I live in the UK and grew up in a city, and since we got together aged 15 we've always talked about buying a family home with lots of land. We want to grow our own food, have some manageable animals and try to be as self sufficient as possible.

The problem is, we live in the UK, where land is scarce and property prices are huge! The only way we'd be able to afford a home with a decent amount of land is if we go way up North, where it gets too cold to grow a lot of crops. We're thinking it might be best to attempt to move to another country. I assume most of you in here are from America?

My question is - faced with the possibility of moving anywhere in the world to find a family home with decent land, but close to a city so we can visit when we like, where would you choose? Anywhere to recommend? Any specific states in America that have a balance of lifestyle with land cheap enough to homestead on? Am I asking too much?

Looking forward to hearing any suggestions you might have!

2. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Hunter63 saying Hey and Welcome....From Wisconsin.
    I choose where I am.....but that is just me...

Looks like big country....but most land that is "cheap" is cheap for a reason....it is either way out in the bonnies , no water, land not able to be farmed easily, too hot...too cold....too wet,... too dry.
    Good land close to waht you want will not be cheap and is taken.

If I were you, get your papers in order and take an extended trip around the country to see what you like.

3. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

Personally, if I could live ANYWHERE it would probably be New Zealand or Switzerland. Probably NZ, they have better agriculture there. Great lamb industry. But given that I'm not a citizen of either of those countries, not marrying into those countries, and not famous/rich/smart/etc enough to immigrate to those countries legally, here I am. And it's not so bad. But as long as we're dreaming....

Cheap is a relative term. A 90K property here would be at least 100K on your side of the pond. Something just outside of NYC will run you millions whereas something comparable near Detroit will be less than 100K. In general, farm land can run anywhere from $500 an acre for undeveloped brush woods that floods half the year, 2-3 hours from any major city... To 10K an acre within 20 minutes of a major city with good farm land and complete outbuildings plus fencing.
    You also have to consider things like what additional expenses you have being over here VS there. Do you live in a country with single payer healthcare? Our healthcare system is super messed up and costs both individual people (and the government) a ton of money. Solar panels over here are either very expensive (made in USA/europe) or low quality (made in china) so going off grid can be tough. Internet is cheap near cities but out in the boonies you're lucky to get service at all. How's your tolerance for mineral heavy water from a well? Etc. etc. Lotsa stuff to think about.

tiffanysgallery and hunter63 like this.
  4. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Well-Known Member

I should note, around where I live, I would consider around 2500-3000/acre for a property within an hour of my major city to be a common price for land that is farmable with a house but both land and house need some serious work. (Like, the house needs 5-10K to be brought up to code, outbuildings are falling down but exist, land might flood a little in the spring but nothing good management over a few years to break up the clay couldn't fix, etc.)
    For livable land that doesn't need much work within an hour of the city you're looking at 5000 an acre.
    For livable land within a half hour of the city, probably 8K an acre.
    Price goes down per acre the more acres there are, unless it has a really fancy house and landscaping, which makes it skyrocket.

Also, bear in mind that a lot of cities/townships/etc even an hour from a major urban center, might have a LOT of building codes, zoning against certain animals, etc. At least, in my area. Some US cities have a LOT of suburban sprawl.

5. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Well-Known Member

Hi! You might want to check out the Ozark Mountains area in Arkansas. Prices are still pretty low in that area.

It's not too far from cities and towns, but far enough that they won't bother you.

Crime is VERY low, and the people are mostly good. (They would think that you talked funny at first.)

Here is just a typical sample:

http://www.landwatch.com/Arkansas_land_for_sale/Ozark

6. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

I have no idea what immigration issues you'll face. Those will have to be surmounted first. A British family bought a house up the road and for some reason was denied permanent residency. The house has since passed to another owner possibly for non-payment of taxes. You'd probably have an simpler move going to Canada. If you're on Facebook I can connect you to a Brit whose family moved to Nova Scotia after owning a smallholding in Wales. She and her children returned to the UK several years ago.

7. CajunSunshine

CajunSunshine Joie de vivre!

Welcome!

Seventh generation American, here. Arkansas is awesome, in terms of cheap (yes cheap) good land.

http://www.city-data.com/ is a good research tool.

I'll bet if you reposted your question in the Homesteading Questions forum upstairs, you will get a LOT of answers!

8. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Well-Known Member

I knew of a grown young lady from Yugoslavia (where they had a war several years ago) who was graduating as an RN from Ole Miss. Her fiance was a medical doctor back home.

She tried and tried to get permanent residency or become a US citizen so she and her husband could live here, but it never happened. She finally gave up and went back home.

That is what angers me most about all of the folks who just walk across the border and instantly seem to have US citizenship. (Yeah, I know: that is changing a little since Trump was elected.)

9. FarmboyBill

FarmboyBill Well-Known Member Supporter

In Oklahoma you can find bare land for $2000. If looking, check Creek, Okmulgee, Muskogee Counties. There between Tulsa and OKC, both of wqhich have a few more people in them than any other town in the state.
    As Chocolatemouse has said, When it comes to buildings on bare land, youll get about what you pay for.

10. Bungiex88

Bungiex88 Well-Known Member

Alaska is a very nice place for homesteading. Summer months stay light most parts of the days which makes gardens grow gigantic. Wildlife is in abundance. Land is really not much more then some places unless your getting lake front or river front. I was born there in a military family but now reside in PA but I've always thought about retiring and moving back.

11. Declan

Declan Well-Known Member

Virginia or North Carolina. You get all four season without any of them being too harsh, they have good highway systems, and there is a lot of fallow farmland due to the death of tobacco. Just stay a little one-off the highways and away from large bodies of water when you are doing your property searches if you are not too picky about where. A lot depends on how much land you are looking for, but you can also look for property that the owners will finance that are fixer uppers. Outside the cities in my part of south central Virginia land is running $3K-$5k an acre but that drops the more of it you buy if you are patient.

12. chaossmurf

chaossmurf Well-Known Member

personally im wanting to go to polk county --its right between Disney & busch gardens and its a fairly lightly developed county where prices are way way too cheap for their relative distance to everything nearby & theres some nice properties there for the cheap---not to mention its within an hour of all my relatives :) ---but my 18 dollars in my bank account means its just a dream

13. Steve_S

Steve_S Well-Known Member

Welcome Rosie and wishing you the best of luck on the adventure your planning to undertake. Being that your British it may be simpler to remain within Commonwealth Nations for a number of reasons that need not be gotten into here... Have a look at Canada and consider the things you really "need" then want and what you would like to have... Depending on your careers, the job market varies across the Nation... Now, if Cash is of no concern and career / work is moot, then you have some huge potentials... for example in some areas where work is hard to find, great properties can be had for very reasonable rates and ideal for Homesteader's & Cabineer's. Place like Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia for example... skip right past Quebec ! Ontario has some really great places away from the major Urban Zones and then there's thousands of kilometers across the west to the coast where it's crazy expensive.