HI from Australia!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by aussiechick, Dec 12, 2006.

1. aussiechick

aussiechick Member

So happy to be finally IN here. Been reading for a week or so now and feeling very frustrated waiting for account validation. Oh well, at least it made me very handy with the search function!

I'm in Australia. Any other Aussies here?

Gotten our first milker about 3 weeks ago and having lots of fun with her and a 3 month old doe kid. We've had wether weed eaters for a few years but the milking thing is a whole new ball game.

Looking forward to learning lots of new stuff!

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

Hello and welcome from the Great White North - I wish, more like the Great Brown Mud Hole LOL

So, what kind of milk goat did you get? I have two milking right now - a Saanen and a Nubian cross - out of fourteen goats. Have you learnt to make cheese yet?

There is one other Aussie on the goat forum - Shazza. She has some lovely Toggenburgs.

Whereabouts in Oz are you? If you're down Adelaide way, wave hi to my cousin Ray, OK? :p

3. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

Welcome aboard Aussie chick....great to have ya..

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Aussie Chick.

5. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

welcome nice to have you here

7. aussiechick

aussiechick Member

Pookshollow, I have a Saanen doe that I'm milking and the bubba is a British Alpine. I wanted the British Alpine but just had no luck and no patience to wait! But the doe is beautiful and noble so I'm really happy with her. Do you hand milk? If so, does it take you much longer than just doing one? My prep leading up to the milking and the cleaning up seems to take the longest so I'm guessing it wouldn't be too bad having two on the go.

I've attempted 3 batches of soft cheese. First one was great (lemon), second one I thought I was so good so tripled the quantities and I stuffed up somehow and ended up with about the same as the first batch! Yesterday I made the vinegar cheese (with the Spanish name??) and that was pretty good for it's purpose (to cook with bacon for creamy pasta type of thing) but I was trying to convert gallons to litres and I'm sure I got it wrong!

I'm in Victoria, not too far from Melbourne. My brother lives in Adelaide though. I haven't been there since he got married 20 years ago! Must make a trip next year. My brother is a chef in a fancy restaurant. I'm gonna email him tonight to ask if he does any goat cheese dishes.

I started a blog about my milking goat adventures (just watch out 'cause I blab on waaaay too much! I need to get some pictures on there!): http://mamajugs.typepad.com/

8. pookshollow

Yes, I hand milk - can't justify the money it would cost to buy a machine, and I enjoy it. The Nubian cross, Angel, takes almost no time to milk. She has really good teats - and she only gives maybe 3/4 of a litre. Polly, my Saanen, has finally slowed down to just over 3 litres (I'm milking once a day) - she was giving almost 5 with two milkings. She takes longer because her teats are shorter and since her udder is so big, it's a little hard to grasp them for the first little while.

Litres to gallons - doesn't have to be exact for cheese-making, so roughly 4 litres to a gallon. I make ricotta (vinegar) cheese a lot - either just as a soft cheese for pasta (also really, really good in a sandwich with apple or plum butter and walnuts or sunflower seeds - mmm), or I add salt and press it in a container for a couple of days, then let it ripen in the fridge.

9. dap

dap lilsparrow

Welcome to HT, aussiechick! it sounds like you are having a good time with the milking thing! :) I'm looking forward to your pictures! :dance:

10. Farmboy

Farmboy Well-Known Member

¡Bienvendios! aussiechick! Welcome to the Great American Goat Forum.

11. aussiechick

aussiechick Member

Back online. Had line problems. I took some pics but haven't uploaded them yet! This coming week!

Pookshollow, is your ricotta recipe online? I did double and a bit of the lemon recipe yesterday and got 750grams of the soft cheese. I think I get around 450 grams for 2 litres of milk. The 750grams was with 5 litres of milk. Something not quite right! We are gonna make a baked cheese cake with it for Christmas day.

12. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

G'day there Aussiechick....glad to have another Aussie join the forum. You are probably very close to us...our farm is 1 hr out of Melb 1/2 way between Bendigo and Melb on the Calder. I also have a Saanen and a Buttara Buck ;) incase you were needing one next year :).
    Looking forward to hearing your goat adventures.
    Also thankyou Pookshollow :)

13. aussiechick

aussiechick Member

Hi Shazza,

yeah, we probably are pretty close. I'm very near Whittlesea.

Is your Saanen a buck as well? Haven't heard of the Buttara. Will have to look that one up.

14. pookshollow

Mmm, don't know if it's online (probably is, somewhere!) but it's dead easy.

I have a 9 litre pot so I fill that up with milk. Heat it until it reaches 195 F (or until there are bubbles all over the top - but not boiling, like I did today :Bawling: chickens will get a treat tomorrow) and slowly add about 250 ml of vinegar, while stirring. The milk will separate into curds and a fairly clear, yellow whey. If it isn't clear, you can keep heating the milk (gently!) until it is. Drain it through cheesecloth in a colander (stainless steel for preference), for a few minutes. Mix in a tablespoon or so of melted butter and a teaspoon of baking soda. Enjoy!

If I'm making the "aged" cheese, I don't add the butter and baking soda, but about 1 tablespoon of coarse pickling salt (not iodized). then pack the curds into a container with holes. I use a plastic container that held frozen berries that I drilled holes into. I then put some plastic wrap, a lid that will fit inside the container, and a weight on top - and put the whole thing inside a bowl to drain. After an hour (or a day, or whenever I get around to it :) ), take the cheese out, turn it over and put a heavier weight on it, for a day or two. Then take the cheese out, rub it all over with coarse salt and wrap it up and put it in the fridge for a couple of weeks, or longer, depending on how "stinky" you like your goat cheese. If it gets a bit wet, unwrap it, drain it and wipe it down, then put it back.

15. Shazza

Yes Buttara Jacoby is a Saanen buck..I also have my original Toggie buck and 2 of his first years sons...one to keep him company and the other one to keep Jack company..and a buck kid son of his from this year.
    My Saanen doe is from over your way, well closer to you than me, Arthurs Seat...Kumala, Rae Carter. And my buck is from Buttara, Rita Butt, Ararat.
    There would be a Goat club over your way...ours is the Central Highlands Goat Club.
    Have you joined the D.G.S.A. Vic branch .... sorry for the 64 questions. :)

16. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Welcome Aussiechick. I've never been to Australia, but know some folks from there. They come to workshops down the road from where I live. They aren't goat breeders, so it's great to be reading about the Australian dairy goats. Is it hard to acquire all the breeds of dairy goats? Seems we can get just about any breed here. I raise mostly Nubians, but have had Alpines and a Saanen. I'm looking forward to the 3/4 Alpine, 1/4 Nubian kids I have due the end of Feb. The Spanish name for the vinegar cheese is casa blanco, which means white cheese. I make both the lemon and vinegar cheeses. My husband makes feta and chevre.

17. aussiechick

aussiechick Member

I had a quick look at your site Shazza and saw that the Buttara was actually the breeding line - duh!

I met Rae (she's in St Andrews - near Arthur's Creek!). She thought she might have had a BA doe for sale but sold it too quick! She let me have my first go at milking though. Very nice lady! She linked me up with the breeder I ended up buyin from. I did see your web site when I was looking for the goats but I was after the British Alpines at first. I should join the Society - I'll get on to it.

Thanks pookshollow. I'm trying your recipe next! I've worked out that the milk doesn't separate well in my big boiler. It likes the smaller saucepan that I can only do 3 litres in at a time. Oh well, just have to do it more often.

Hey goatkid...we don't have the Swiss Alpine here but the British Alpine which I think are related from like 100 years ago but not recently. The BA are black and white. I'm not up on the other breeds at all. I think you have way more than we have here though.

18. Shazza

Excellent Aussiechick...a name would be good??
    Yes we only have the BA's, Saanens, Toggenburgs and Anglo Nubians and the Boar goats...and the experimentals being Blacks and Browns...Melanns.

19. aussiechick

aussiechick Member

Umm, you mean my name? Or the breeder where I got the goats from??!

Hey, I saw you have pigs too. Do you rear them for the freezer? Our source of pork have divorced! Hubby wants to keep a couple of pigs. I dunno....are they high demand/upkeep? I have no particular pull toward pigs! It's different if you have a 'thing' for the animals in question.

20. Shazza

Umm, your name yeah, its just strange being an aussie and calling you Aussiechick.
    Yes we got the pigs to breed with and did have a few litters but they are way high in the maintenance etc...if you just have pigs to raise to eat at Spit size is much better.
    We are slowly getting rid of the pigs...they are a lovely animal, but way too stubborn for us. Now with the NLIS it would be harder to sell 13 odd babies with out taking them to market..we would sell a few over the farm gate and to friends but not a large number. Frankly with the 3 landrace/large whites we have put in the freezer over the last 3 years we are all porked out.