Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all Im from Pietermaritzburg in South Africa about 4 months ago I got a lease on a 2ish acre homestead about 10miles out of town. I also got permision for grazing on another 2 acres of the neighbors land provided none of our animals get into his sugarcane fields.

I have now got 2 amber-link chickens and busy incubating 24 eggs which should hatch this friday which are a cross between my amberlinks and the neighbors new Hampshire red rooster.
As of yesterday 1 dexter cow 3yrs old and her daughter a 1yr old heifer. Both are pure bred and registered with the dexter association.

I am also busy planting a 10th of an acre peperdew field which will be my "cash" crop pickled and sold at the local farmers market and to the local pizzaria. this is my first farm and my life's dream.

I am new to the whole livestock thing but am sure ill get plenty of help and encouragement on here.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds exciting. You should post some pics for us. I always like to hear about life in other parts of the world. Welcome.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Welcome
I have Dexter cattle envy, you are lucky, I hope to be able to get some soon.
You will find a lot of good information and good people here.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have picked up a lot of good advice already lurking on here. Here are my cows when I got them home on Sunday they are pretty rare in this part of the country but readily available about 500miles up country so when these came up with good genetics I had to jump on them even though it did strain the bank balance. looking forward to all that milk and cheese in a few months time.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been planting my peperdew field today 1/3 complete back breaking work hopefully they survive the constant attacks from the chickens and peacocks.

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
Howzit Mupwi, welcome to HT :) Beautiful scenery!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ja its dificult to go into work every day when you wake up to this view we even regularly se zebra and antelope graizing on thoes hills. more motivation to make the homestead profitable so i can quit the day job.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
would somone mind explaining to me the zone and hardiness zone thing in my profile its somthing im not familier with

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
It's to do with your climate as far as planting goes. The US is divided up into zones and we depend on those zones to know what plants can take the climate in our area.

Is that a lemon tree in your photo? If so, you're probably able to plant just about anything that doesn't need a hard frost to thrive. Your zone is probably somewhere in the 8b to 10 range.

This is an example: http://www.citrustreesonline.com/usda-plant-hardiness-zone-map.asp

HTH.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
welcome. so exciting to follow along with your new adventure. so glad that the internet lets us all gather here despite being on different continents. are they many people doing homesteading type life in your area?

here in ky we're living in a very rural area with mostly farms and mining. there's just a couple towns in our county and they are nothing like the bigger industrial and metropolitan areas in the US. we love it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts