Hey you 'Freeze Baby' southeners.....

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cabin Fever, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

...it's 41F in north central Minnesota right now! (Brainerd, MN)

:haha: :haha: :haha:

2. Shagbarkmtcatle

Shagbarkmtcatle Hillybilly cattle slaves

I hope you don't think 41 deg is warm, cause I'm telling you, it ain't. THat's winter temps. Though it is only 38 deg here right now, it's supposed to go up to the 50's tom. No snow so far. :haha: Why would anyone want to live where it's cold 6 months of the year is beyond me.

Laura Lynn

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Shagbarkmtcatle, its something to do with the poision fish they eat - note he didn't say if that was 41 above or below!!

4. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

Heck it's 41 right now here on the sunny gulf coast. Got down to 24 last night.

5. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

It's been 42-43 F all day today here in NC and tonight it's supposed to be down in the teens. After only two days of this I am SO ready for summer again...and to think, they're forcasting snow for Sunday and Monday next week...

I could never make it 'up thar'....:D Give me 90*+F and 80% humidity.

~Christina - A heat lovin, cold hatin wimp from Nawth Carolinuh!

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

This 'Freeze Baby' southener is sitting at the computer, the temp here is at 54 degrees above zero and I'm wearing a tee shirt and jeans with the window open. I thrive on fresh air. 54 seems to be a heat wave here. :p

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

It's 26 degress here right now (Ohio) and it is simply DELIGHTFUL!!! We don't get near enough snow to satisfy me.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................He Know(s) he's gonna be warm this Christmas , cause all 4 Exwives are coming home fer Christmas for a little turkey...and UNdressing , :eek: :p :p :yeeha: , fordy,, :)

9. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

It's 20 degrees F here in podunk NC

10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

The damp is what makes Southern cold so penetrating. Plus Florida generally has more hypothermia deaths each year than Minnesota...I got on the elvator this morning going to work and the poor bundled up coworkers couldn't believe I was in short sleeves!!!Well, I had a sweater in the car for in case of breakdown!!

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I agree, I have often wished I lived in the primary snow belt, they are measuring snow by the foot today 50 north east of here.... I keep telling my wife we are going to move there.

12. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

With respect Cabin I know you guys know winter even better than me but it was -2 f here last night, that is an even colder looking -19c if you need to feel even colder that is.

13. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm not quite a couple 100 miles south of Cabin in minnesota. We had some bitter cold down to zero a couple days ago, had winds of 30-60 mph pushing warm(er) and cold air back & forth across our state. and no snow. Very unusual for us to not have snow on the ground yet.

Today's 40 was just terrific after that cold snap, was getting all sorts of outdoor errands done yet today.

The record cold for today was -26F they just said on the news a bit ago.

--->Paul

14. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Cabin Fever I am so glad to hear of your heat wave. My mom lives on Little Red Sands Lake near Pillager MN. If she gets a break from the cold thats great. A few years back when I stayed there it was -20 almost every day. (That was in January though)Brrrrrrr
    Jodi

15. primroselane

primroselane Well-Known Member

All I've got to say is that somebody has to live in Minnesota and better you than me.

16. Cindy in KY

Cindy in KY Well-Known Member

Way too stinkin' cold down here in Kentucky. I've been busting ice in tanks allready, and having to stretch out all the hoses. It was 17* a couple nights ago. Gonna be almost 50 today, Amen, but going down to the 30's then 20's for a few days next week. And we had a wicked, wicked thunderstorm roll thru here last week, thunder, lightning and lots of hail, which had your cold front pushing it down here. Pushed all our warm air away! We've had like a foot or more of rain this month, we are over the all time KY record for rainfall.

You can keep all the cold and snow & ice up north where it belongs! Kentucky is supposed to have mild winters, but we're seeming to get colder each winter. I find it very hard to do all my chores wrapped up and bundled so thick I can't seem to move. I hate beanies, they itch and then all day I have "beanie hair". I could never live up there in the artic frozen tundra where you guys do. Seen any reindeers lately? :) Your letters to Santa probably get there in one day. At least I still have green green grass out in my pastures, although we've been feeding hay for a month as supplement.

~Cindy ~ - A heat lovin, cold hatin ex-Southern California girl wimp of all wimps.

17. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

19 degrees here this morning - Sunday is supposed to have snow showers and a low around 12 degrees...while we southerners appreciate you northerners wanting to share your cold temps, we'd really rather you just keep the cold up there where it is supposed to be!!

No snow showers for me, I am tired of rain in any form and the resulting mud and mess - and our town will shut down on Monday as we have no snow removal equipment, so that means another school day to make up after the hurricanes.

But it's a holiday and one that we get to enjoy while you guys trudge off to work!!

and our town will not have one carton of milk or loaf of bread to be found!! I'm making chili and cornbread on Sunday...gotta keep the heat going!

Sidepasser

18. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

19 here this morning too. If anyone wants to know about the cold, they should ask the cat though. He spent Monday night swaying in a pine tree in the whipping wind at a balmy 18 F. Coyotes had him scared out of his mind. We searched all over for him before bed. The next morning he showed up smelling just like a christmas tree. We thought he was dead for sure, we thought the coyotes had got him. We were happy to see him, he's a character.

19. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

15* when I woke up this morning at 4am...hasn't warmed up much since. Supposed to get up to 52* but I am seriously doubting it.

My sweet little barn cat was so cold she decided to huddle up with the chickens. Feel kinda bad for all me critters, but I guess they've got what they need to survive, and if not, oh well. Guess I'm gonna put some more siding up on the barn today and tomorrow since they're calling on snow for Monday after an all day rain on Sunday. Oh goody.

Although, a white Christmas would be pretty neat. I don't remember ever waking up to a measurable amount of snow on Christmas morn in my 26 years on this earth. Hmm...makes me wanna take a sleigh ride...

~Christina

20. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

18 degrees here in Mississippi at 7:30 yesterday morning, pretty sure it's just as cold this morning. But it warmed up real nice into the 50s. I love this kind of weather...never been a summer person.