Hey Pumpkin contestants....

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Apr 2, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I was just reading the Ohio Extension service instructions for growing giant pumpkins. The following paragraph was from their site. Can someone interpret the part I highlighted? I'm confused!!

Because of the size and fast growth of these pumpkins, training vines and root pruning is important. This will prevent stem breakage and splitting. While the pumpkin is basketball size, curve the vine 80 to 90 degrees away from the fruit. About 3 feet out from the fruit, curve the vine back in the general direction it was headed. Clip roots 3 feet out on the vine. This will allow the vine to easily move upward as the pumpkin grows. Pumpkins long in shape tend to push the vine forward, resulting in a kink. If this happens, slide the pumpkin back about 4 to 5 inches - this is usually necessary when the pumpkin is about 300 pounds. Pumpkins round in shape are difficult to rotate without damaging the stem.

2. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Sounds like they mean to clip it to the ground so that it stays at the right angle to the pumpkin. I think anyway. I have read that on other site as well.

Grow Em Big
    Duke

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

my guess would be that as the vine grows outward, it forms new roots along the vine. now this is a wild guess, but i think clipping those roots will put more energy into growing the one big pumpkin, and no more.

4. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

I bet marvella is right.

Grow Em Big

Duke

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

The pumpkin will put out more roots along the vine as it grows. You need to clip some so that the vine doesn't get anchored to the ground and break when the pumpkin grows and forces it outward. Or so that was my understanding.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

hmm, i never noticed air roots, but why not , other plants to it .....

7. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

Pumpkins do put out little tap roots along the vine - in fact, it's recommended to bury some of the vines to encourage this. You also want to prune off a lot of the vines to make more energy go into the fruit.
    Here is what may be a more detailed article about curving the vine & avoiding stress caused by the growth of the pumpkin against the vine: http://www.bigpumpkins.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=60
    And here is a discussion about square footage (involves info about pruning excess vines):
    http://www.bigpumpkins.com/MsgBoard/ViewThread.asp?b=3&p=107069
    If you want to get *really* into it, here is an interview with a famous grower:
    http://www.bigpumpkins.com/ViewArticle.asp?id=78

8. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member