Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an interesting weekend... I woke Saturday with abdominal pain nasty enough DH took me to the ER... apparently I have ovarian cysts. While they could go away on thier own, they could also stay as is, or worsen. The doctor advised me that if we planned on a family, we might want to get moving.

So, we've decided that as soon as the antibotics they sent me home with have run their course, we'll try. I am 22, and thought I had awhile to figure out everything I needed to do, such as what supplements I need, exactly what I should eat and how much of it, and anything I should avoid. However, that is not the case... and so I need your help to cram all the knowledge in as I can in the time I have. I know a bit, but am scared of leaving some vital *something* out.

My own mother passed while I was quite young, so what little I know about the women of my family and their reproductive history is a bit shady... I do, however, know that both sides have had problems with milk supply. Is there anything I should take preconception/during pregnancy that may help me be better able to breastfeed later?

And of course, your prayers are needed... we both want a family, though I though I am scared silly. Oh, and the only birth stories I've been treated to have been horror stories, so if anyone has anything to ease my fears that would be wonderful.

·
USMC can't fix stupid(s)
2,736 Posts
jen74145 said:
We had an interesting weekend... I woke Saturday with abdominal pain nasty enough DH took me to the ER... apparently I have ovarian cysts. While they could go away on thier own, they could also stay as is, or worsen. The doctor advised me that if we planned on a family, we might want to get moving.

So, we've decided that as soon as the antibotics they sent me home with have run their course, we'll try. I am 22, and thought I had awhile to figure out everything I needed to do, such as what supplements I need, exactly what I should eat and how much of it, and anything I should avoid. However, that is not the case... and so I need your help to cram all the knowledge in as I can in the time I have. I know a bit, but am scared of leaving some vital *something* out.

My own mother passed while I was quite young, so what little I know about the women of my family and their reproductive history is a bit shady... I do, however, know that both sides have had problems with milk supply. Is there anything I should take preconception/during pregnancy that may help me be better able to breastfeed later?

And of course, your prayers are needed... we both want a family, though I though I am scared silly. Oh, and the only birth stories I've been treated to have been horror stories, so if anyone has anything to ease my fears that would be wonderful.
first, calm down.
second, worrying about breastfeeding is not the thing to worry about before the little bugger gets here. if you can you can, if not, baby will be fine with formula.
third, once you're pregnant, you'll know exactly what to avoid.. ha! it's different for all women, even sisters and mothers and daughters.
keep moderation in mind... for everything... food, sleep, exercise, etc.
you'll be fine.
you're going to have a baby, not launch a rocket to mars.
take the prenatal vitamins and do what your dr tells you to do.
again, you'll be fine if you just calm down and let nature take it's course.
good luck and keep us posted!!!!

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
jen74145 said:

First bit of advice--take a deep breath. I developed cysts when I started the meds for IVF and became pregnant with my last child (last by our choice). All four of my other kids were not planned :) . The cysts went away on their own after I gave birth, and so far, so good...

Just make sure you are now eating healthy, and once the antibiotics are done...maybe even cut out caffine and cigarettes if ya smoke. Pick up some pre natal over the counter vitamins now and start taking them--a bit extra folic acid wouldn't hurt either, if by diet or vitamins (I think the ones I took last time around were VitaSol OB ??? but not OT).

I will not give you any horror stories--everyone has heard the one about my last birth enough :D . Take care of your health and eating habits, and maybe even through in some prayer and a visit to a good fertility/IVF doc if your insurance covers it. And, don't be scared--having children is one of the most wonderful things in the world :goodjob:

Good luck and I wish the best for ya! :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
gleanerl said:
first, calm down.
second, worrying about breastfeeding is not the thing to worry about before the little bugger gets here. if you can you can, if not, baby will be fine with formula.
third, once you're pregnant, you'll know exactly what to avoid.. ha! it's different for all women, even sisters and mothers and daughters.
keep moderation in mind... for everything... food, sleep, exercise, etc.
you'll be fine.
you're going to have a baby, not launch a rocket to mars.
take the prenatal vitamins and do what your dr tells you to do.
again, you'll be fine if you just calm down and let nature take it's course.
good luck and keep us posted!!!!
I agree. You'd be surprised how much your instincts kick in when your body realizes it's pregnant. You will eat what you and the baby need when you need it. That's where the cravings come in. I craved milk and carrots, salad and beef. I'm normally not a milk or beef eater. Yet my pregnancy cranked on and we both had what we needed. Just stay away from things that are common sense: drugs, alcohol, and caffeine in all forms.

Get plenty of rest each day, especially after the first trimester, and try not to let your hormones take completely over. That's the hard part. Unless you have some nutsy complications you aren't aware of yet, you'll be just fine. Let your doctor keep track of you, let your husband wait on you, and enjoy being pregnant. It seems like a long time, but it is so fleeting. Even if you have an "icky" pregnancy like I did, you will miss it when it's over.

Good luck. It's a wonderful thing. I wish I could have done it more than once. You'll be just fine! :)

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
My sister had ovarian cysts some years ago, they once removed one the size of a grapefruit. SHe has since had 3 more children. Seems they are fairly common, I was found to have one in my uterus during a sonogram when I was pregnant. Best of luck & prayers to you,I am sure you will be fine!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Sorry to hear about the cysts - but how exciting to be going ahead with trying to conceive! Eat healthy stuff, & take prenatals (I like Rainbow Light brand real well, personally) - the biggie is getting lots of folic acid. You don't need to do anything pre-birth for your milk supply, but afterwards, here are are some things: Here's a lactation promoting tea: http://www.traditionalmedicinals.com/?id=30&pid=79 and also, taking fenugreek or eating oatmeal can help w/supply (http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milksupply/herbal_galactagogue.html)
A couple of books w/good birth stories: Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6256018-1548844?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184556902&sr=8-1
and Adventures in Natural Childbirth
http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Natural-Childbirth-Pleasures-Naturally/dp/1569243689/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-6256018-1548844?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1184557109&sr=1-1
Good luck, & hope this info helps!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
ouch! those cysts are NOT FUN!
I had them also but they went away on their own - I had them a couple times. Hope you're feeling better soon -

jen74145 said:
thought I had awhile to figure out everything I needed to do, such as what supplements I need, exactly what I should eat and how much of it, and anything I should avoid.
Once they confirm your pregnancy, your doctor will prescribe pre-natal vitamins. I got chewables the 2nd time around because I have a really wimpy stomach! They dissolved easier for me - Ask your doctor what your options are.

Eat food that's healthy - don't eat junk. Basically, do what you know is best anyway, even if you weren't pregnant. One of the most important things is folic acid, but that will be included in your pre-natal vitamin.

Get some books out of the library - one I liked was WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU'RE EXPECTING.

I guess things to avoid would include certain drugs & too much alcohol :)

jen74145 said:
My own mother passed while I was quite young, so what little I know about the women of my family and their reproductive history is a bit shady... .
Putting the "reproductive history" aside for a moment and concentrating on not having your own mother here with you now -
Do you have a step-mom or sisters or aunts or girlfriends who are experienced mothers? There are plenty of us here to help you out, which we will GLADLY do, but it's nice to call someone up & have a cup of tea if you need to.

jen74145 said:
I do, however, know that both sides have had problems with milk supply. Is there anything I should take preconception/during pregnancy that may help me be better able to breastfeed later?.
Here's a link to La Leche League's web site where they offer specific help on breastfeeding issues - there are some specific links concerning Milk Supply.
http://www.lalecheleague.org/nb.html?m=0,0,0

jen74145 said:
Yes, it's both an exciting & scary time - gather those around you who are positive about it all & who will support YOUR choices. My births were not what I would call "easy" - I had late big babies, but it was also the most wonderful experience.....You have to remember that your body is specifically made to get you & baby through this process.....Also, you may choose to have a doctor or midwife with you - they've done it many times - they know what they're doing.

If possible, check out a Bradley class in your area -
http://www.bradleybirth.com/
You will learn excercises & anatomy &, of course, birthing helps.
It was the best thing we ever did - it will do a lot to ease your fears.

PRAYERS FROM HERE!

And remember what others have said - RELAX, TAKE A BREATH!
You'll do great!

Thought of 1 more thing........ENJOY THE PROCESS......I wish someone would have told me that - I was so focused on getting pregnant & then focused on having the baby, that hubby sort of just became a sperm donor to me for a while there (sorry if that's too crass!)......just enjoy each moment of your life & what is to be will be when it's supposed to. :p

·
23,497 Posts
I will keep you in my prayers. Kadia has those cysts, just small ones and they are very painful. Her doctor gave her a very low-dose birth control pill. It really has helped with the pain. She does not like to call them birth control as she and her fiance plan to wait until they are married, she calls them hormone regulators! Did they do a sonogram to see how large the cysts are? Kadia has several but they are very small. Her doctor said they will not interfere with pregnancy at all.

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
I'm not a mamma, but I do have an interesting pregnancy story about when my twin had her first baby, that might help you put all those horror stories into prespective. He husband was the youngest of a large family, so she thought having all those older and therefore wiser sisters-in-law would be to her advantage, especially since they were well on their way to also having large families.

They of course gave her minute by minute details of all the horrors they went though to have each of their children, often scaring my sister silly. Not to mention it seemed like everyone she talked to who offered advice had another horror story.

Fast forward to the day her oldest daughter was born. She awoke to what she thought was her baby being etc. active, but she said she was just full of energy. She cleaned house, scrubbed flours, even washed the car...when she started having contractions she didn't realize that's what they were mainly because they were not nearly as bad as she imagined. She was ironing when her water broke, when she called her nearest sister-in-law, who sounded all panicy, and wanted to either call an ambulance or in the very least drive her to the hospital right then. But, my sister the young, perhaps foolish, romanic wanted to wait for her husband to get home so he could drive her to the hospital. She in the mean time talked her sister-in-law into going back home to take care of her own children, and she added a few things to the suitcase she had prepared.

Her husband arrives also all panicy and she thinking, since she is not in too much pain yet, it's best to try to keep him calmn, she also said he was quite funny so he was entertaining. Especially when he loaded the car, and took off without my sister. He returned shortly, they get to the hospital, put her a room, the nurse comes in to prep her and she how well along she is and annouces, "Honey, you're just going to have to pass on the shave because your baby is almost here." -- Time between getting to the hospital and delivery under an hour. Sis did admit that the contraction got much harder, after the nurses announcement, and she did get a little scared, but the feeling she had when the baby arrived more then made up for any pain.

The moral of this story is, you probably want to keep in mind that sometimes the retelling of giving birth to babies is often a badge of honor type thing, where the greater the story the higher the honor :)

Now, the women here will have some awesome advise for you, and as you are likely aware you can ask 'em anything -- honestly - anything :)

Hugs,
Marlene

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Jen,

It doesn't hurt, it actually helps quite a lot to be on the prenatal vitamins, including folic acid, BEFORE you get pregnant. So start right away, and if it takes a month or two to get pregnant, that's fine too.

Don't worry about milk supply yet. Worry about a healthy, fit pregnancy.

Remember, women have been doing this forever... it's what we're meant to do.
Read and ask your questions, but know that gut instinct works well.

The book "what to expect when y ou're expecing" is excellent, as are the suggestions to go to La leche league for breastfeeding info.

I second the Bradley birth method.

For a non-horror story... I used Bradley 3 times... all three unmedicated births, an 8 pounder, a 9 1/2 pounder and a 10 pounder. Easy, fairly quick labors. I had a complication with the second child, implanting over the cervix, and that too, ended just fine.

The main folks telling stories are the ones with horror stories to tell, the happy camper story folks have gotten on with life and don't think about it!

Involve your husband, he should read the books too!

good luck, sweetie!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Gee, I forgot to add last night in my late-night stupor, that an aunt of mine had ovarian cysts when she was younger (like 30 years ago) and being pregnant really helped her for some reason. Raging hormones, I guess. You may want to ask your doctor about this possibility. Maybe you could have a few children and cure yourself! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ah, you all are wonderful. I feel much better just reading what you've told me so far. Melissa, I had a CAT scan, and really was very out of it from the pain/nausea medications they'd given me, so I'm still rereading the info they sent home with me... the doctor doesn't think I'd so much have trouble now, she's just concerned about a couple years from now. :)

And no, no women around I can talk to... thus I fall onto all of your experiences and knowledge. I suppose scared isn't the right term... I think I'm more worried about doing everything as best I can so we all come out of this healthy. Truthfully, though we'd often discussed it, I thought it would be another year or more before we began trying, but I'd rather put a rush on things than not have the family we've wanted. House still needs lots of work, finances aren't stellar (though workable, and DH does have scheduled raises) but I'm trying to look past that... nine months is more than enough time to get any immediate concerns out of the way, right? Right?

Definitely going to spend some time looking at the links you've all provided, as well... I already take a multi each day and extra folic, just need to get better about it and stop forgetting so often. Anywho, sorry this got so wordy, so much on my mind... but many thanks to all of you.

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I was 18 I had a cyst the size of a softball removed from my left ovary and several spots cauterized on my right ovary. The doctors put me on birth control pills to prevent them from recurring. They told me I would probably have difficulty getting pregnant, so I shouldn't wait to have children.

Fast forward 17 years. My eighth baby was born last week. That's 8 children ages 10 and under - so much for having difficulty getting pregnant! The first one was born when I was 25 - quite a while after having the cysts removed.

Don't stress about being able to get pregnant, that can become a self fulfilling prophecy. Enjoy this time in your life!

PJ

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had my first experience with ovarian cysts when I was 14. I felt really bad on a Sunday. Nauseated, stomach hurt, etc. When I got up Monday morning I was hit with such severe pain I literally fell to the floor screaming. My parents rushed me to the hospital where we endured almost 2 weeks of complete incompetence on the part of the medical staff before they finally decided to do exploratory surgery. I had been on a morphine drip for nearly 2 weeks.

When they did the surgery they discovered that one of my ovaries had a cyst the size of a cantaloupe. The weight from the cyst had caused the ovary and tube to twist around (called torsion). The circulation had been cut off and the organ had died. That was why the pain was so severe. They removed the ovary and removed several smaller cysts from the other ovary. I was put on birth control to prevent them from coming back.

When I went off the pill 10 years later to try and conceive my first child, I developed another large cyst the 5th month off the pills. He put me on bed rest to see if it would go away on its own but it didn't; the pain only got worse so they did emergency surgery. The only reason I didn't lose my remaining ovary to torsion was because I had so many adhesions from the first surgery connecting my organs to my abdominal wall. The ovary couldn't move. It took over 1/2 an hour to cut away the adhesions and the cyst ruptured when they got in there. They flushed everything out and cauterized the cyst so it couldn't grow back. I conceived my daughter 2 weeks later. The cyst was actually a blessing as I didn't know about the adhesions and they would have complicated pregnancy.

After having my daughter the doctor told me not to wait long for another. We started trying again 4 months later but it was 18 months after that before I conceived. When I went in for an ultrasound at 7 weeks they found more cysts on my ovary but they were gone by the time I had another one at 20 weeks.

I've been on the pill to prevent them ever since.

BTW, my pregnancies were a breeze! I've never felt so good and been so healthy! I started taking prenatal vitamins when I decided to start trying to conceive. They were prescribed by my OB.

Labor is another story but I won't got there! lol

Good luck!

Beth

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
jen74145 said:
... nine months is more than enough time to get any immediate concerns out of the way, right? Right?
ummmmmmmmmmm..........RIGHT! :p

Seriously, if everyone waited for the PERFECT time to have children, the planet would be unpopulated very quickly

ONE DAY AT A TIME :)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Pregnancy and breastfeeding can be a cure for so many hormonal problems. In the past 6 years I've only had 5 menstrual cycles. *L* It helped cure my PCOS symptoms, Endometriosis, and no more PMS.

Find a prenatal vitamin that you like...they have tablets, and chewables now. Eat a good diet full of veggies and meat. Try to avoid ice cream and pickles. :)

About increasing your milk supply. Since the women in your family have had problems don't take BCPs. They will decrease your supply. You can also take Fenugreek and there is a tea made by Traditional Medicinals, "Mother's Milk". If you are worried about ovulating after the birth start researching attached parenting and natural family planning (NFP or Taking Charge of Your Fertility). Lactation Amenorrhea is wonderful.

About labor and birth, don't worry about it at all!! Start making up your birth plan and read Ina May's book! If anything it is enjoyable reading. You can start worrying about labor when you are in labor. Your labor will be the way you want it to be, you just have to think happy thoughts.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I had surgery for a ruptured ovarian cyst at 19 and went on to have 3 children and a few llost pregnancies. I have not had any problems since.

As for the milk supply issue my mum could not breastfeed and neither could my sister but I was able to nurse all of mine withou problem.I find a lot of women get the wrong advice from the nurses and doctors in hospital because many of them never breastfed! THere are a lot of women who give up because they get no support, which I received in buckets from my family and none from hubby's infact they always kept asking when I was putting the babies ont he boootle- I ended up with my 2 youngest never giving them a bottle of any type and they have the straightest teeth I have ever seen!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am a women's health care practitioner and I would NOT advise rushing into a pregnancy based on a single episode of a painful ovarian cyst. Without further diagnosis and evidence of recurrence, there is no reason to suspect that your fertility would be at all compromised. If you're in doubt, get an evaluation from a good gynecologist - ER docs are famous for giving inaccurate gyn advice...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts