Hey Guess What!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Goat Freak, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

I got a laptop, and it is SO COOL! Now I can go ahead and post here even when I am not at home! By the way, to keep this thread goat related, who all flushs their does, and what do you think of it? We are on our first week of flushing our girls, and its our first time. I also heard that you should flush the buck too, and that it supposidly increases the female offspring that he will throw. Just wanted to know what your experiences with it have been. Is there truth to flushing. Thank you in advance for all replies. See ya, bye.

2. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard up to triplets is nutritional and quads plus tend to be genetic along with nutrtion (a doe with the genetic base to throw quads but poor nutrtion just won't do it).
    We "flush" our does...well, try to. Since most years the breeding has been screwed up due to buck escapes it generally didn't work. This past Fall though the bucks never escaped. We had an almost 200% kidding rate (two does left to kid and we are at 53 kids out of 27 does). We had a lot of first timers this year as well. Highest number of triplets in one year so far.

I'll put it this way. We have a doe who is always out. She scales cattle panels as though they were a ladder. So she has very high nutrition. She's had 5 sets of triplets and 2 sets of twins in her 8 years of life (we had one year when there wasn't a buck on the farm). She's had triplets when the others were throwing twins and singletons.

Along with flushing you need to maintain good nutrition in early pregnancy as well. The body will not maintain multiple pregnancies if the nutrtion isn't there to support them.
    I have two does out of a set of quads. They are going to be three next February. Both had twins this year (less than a year after moving from TN 8 hours to SE Ohio). I'm hoping they will throw quads this coming year (we haven't had any yet).
    It seems our does that are bred after being out on browse and pasture have higher multiples. We used to breed for march/April...so the pasture wasn't as good quality and they were on more hay. We bred in mid-August and lots of multiples. The pasture was wonderful and most settled within a week or so of coming off pasture into the dry lot breeding pens (four bucks).

Flushing has worked for us, numbers wise, but proper nutrition year round will do best.

3. Goat Freak

Thanks, I think that I might want to wait until we have more grass then, we have a bit, enough for them to nibble on right now, which is better than it has been in a LONG time, so by the time I am done flushing them they might have had enough forage too. Actually, I just thought about it, we are going on vacation soon, so I won't be able to flush them the whole way through anyway, so I'd better start when we are done with our vacations. By then the grass should be better too. So I guess that I'm done with the flushing for right now, and will start in about 3-4 weeks. Well see ya, bye.

4. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Ok, new to goat terminology here........ what is "flushing"?? :shrug:

17 days to go.... :sing:
    Kitty

5. mammawof3

mammawof3 Well-Known Member

Too increase their nutrition, so they are gaining weight prior too breeding-it could be as simple as feeding grain-when they were just on pasture-as long as they are gaining condition-that is the goal.

6. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I "flush" mine, always. Flushing is putting your goats on an ascending plane of nutition. The does are going into a bloom. They are in a weight gaining mode, they are getting better looking insteading of getting worse looking. They are going into the "thrive" mode. This causes their bodies to release more eggs. In so doing, you increse the chance of multiple births and healthier ovum. Better conception rates. less need to re-breed your does. All good things. You want to have your does healthy, without worms, shiney coats, hooves trimmed, the works, radiating health. Atend to your goats needs on a very obsessive nature, routine feeding scedule of proper nutrition, proper salt, no stress, clean pens, give them great care. You are much more likely to get twins and triplets, maybe quads, and healthy ones..........rather than one great big kid that is hard to deliver, or perhaps sickly twins. And a healthy doe will give more milk.

If your does are rough coated, thin, trying to survive themselves, your conception-rate will be lower. Mother Nature says "What? Get pregnant? I can barely sustain this doe, much less get her pregnant! Not a good time!"

Same for a buck, you don't want him run down when he has 'work" to do and you need his sperm count high and healthy and when you need his sperm mobile.

7. HomesteadBaker

HomesteadBaker Working toward the dream

Great info to know!! Thanks so much for explaining it for me!!!

17 days to go.... :sing:
    Kitty

8. Goat Freak

Yeah, I totally understand the healthy thing, that is why we are going to use our newer buck to breed our girls, the older one, only 3 years old, is having some hair issues, I think fleas seeing as how I found little red bugs in his hair. I don't want him to be breeding the girls because I am afraid he won't get them all, or won't have enough sperm to make the flushing worth it. Besides, the newer buck is red, with all kinds of cool genetics, so I see this as a great way to see what he throws off. Bye.