Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, some of you might know me from the same monicker on the Prepared Society boards, but for those who don't, I live in North Idaho on a small acreage. My husband and I have no kids, YET. Haha! We hope to start on that next year. Our goal is to be as prepared as possible and as self-sufficient as possible so thatwe can afford to have me stay home with our children and homeschool them. My husband is slowly coming around to the idea and as soon as he okays anything, I start work on it. Can't wait to get to know everyone here.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good luck. It's always tough when one isn't as "into" it as the other. With us, it's my wife that is slowly coming around.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where are you in northern Idaho? I'm in Moscow area & looking to buy some land soon to start our family journey towards self sufficiently.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where are you in northern Idaho? I'm in Moscow area & looking to buy some land soon to start our family journey towards self sufficiently.
I'm in the Coeur d' Alene area, but I grew up in Lewiston. We have about five acres here with the option to it if use more as needed.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds wonderful! We want land for a large garden, chickens, pigs, cattle, & to hunt on. A pond would be amazing too!
If you want all that and you don't want pigs in the garden, so to speak, I would suggest more like 10 acres. Unless you supplement everything with feed, they need a bit more room.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just don't forget that cattle need a herd. If you can, raise two.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robin no problem. Learn as much as you can before you start. Or learn as much as possible before your animals arrive. It's easy to think you have to have such and such, but you have to do your research, so you don't end up with say guineas in the middle of town.

Rhaige I've never been out that way, but I've heard it's nice. What kind of geese and chickens do you have? If I remember right, it's quite a bit hotter and drier down that way, isn't it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts