Hey Al,Bring Us Up Todate On Your New Queens And Splits Yesterday.

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by Hee Haw, May 18, 2006.

1. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

Hey Al,
    How did everything go with your splits yesterday? Did the queens come in on time? Was weather fair enough to get the job done?

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Wednesday morning dawned bright and clear. Soon the sun came out only to disappear by 10:30, Girls became cranky and were hard to find the queen with all the movement. We decided the best coruse was to just do nuc's for now and if meed be shake some extra in latter to build them up.
    Queens got delayed and were not shipped till Friday/today. We will pick them up for sure Tomorrow Saturday. Just as well as the rain continues to fall from the nearly all day drizzle yesterday. Saturdays forecast is calling for dry and sunny. Bout time to. :rolleyes: Called a fellow with one of those Aqua mowers to mow the grass. :p Isn't goiung to be cheap :Bawling: . Might look into some of those grass eatting fish :dance: .

Caught my first swarm yesterday. Didn't get a picture of the main swarm for some reason. Was only a foot off the ground. Secondary swarm 20 yards away at the base of a 200 year Old Wallnut tree Just set a drawn frame againest the tree, the girls just walked over to the frame.

:D Al

3. alleyyooper

Picked up our 5 SMR carnie queens yesterday at 8:30 am. Since our critter problem yard was on the way home we stopped off to reset the live trap for any more critters.
    At home we had all but two nucs ready for the queens, which we installed. I use the squeeze between the frame method of installing queen cages whether it is the 3 hole wood Benton ones or the JZBZ plastic ones. I much perfer the JZBZ cages. We then were able to finish our out yard inspections. Plus make the two nucs up. One colony may be queen less as I didn't see any eggs just very young brood. Will go back and check in a couple of days.
    Many of the colonies had the drone comb drawn out and two colonies had most of the frame full of drone larva. I pulled them for the freezer, then in a couple of day will replace them.

4. alleyyooper

Going to look at a possiable out yard today. I don't like having 10 colonies in the back yard.
    Seems like 7 works best for us at any yard and some even as many as 5 are to many.
    Judgeing how many colonies to keep in a yard requires record keeping. You also have to weight in the weather factor.

5. alleyyooper

All the NWC queen nucs were moved into 10 frame boxes on the 27th of May and given a gallon of syrup. All 10 frames have been drawn out now as of June 3d syrup all gone. I need to add foundation to frames and get them on now.
    All the SMR gueens Are ready to move into a 10 frame hive body as of June 3d also. Some had swarm cells started in the nuc there so crowded.
    Have 2 out yards all done and bees there now too. going to set up the 3d today. NWC hives will go there.
    Have caught 3 more swarms. One is queen less a result of a difficult night time removeal from around a Juniper 2 inch trunk. Also had one of my old queens up and die. tried to order a couple of NWC queens and they are booked up till July 1st or there abouts.

Got this Idea that Minnesota Hygenic bees are not to awful good. Ohio 4 frame nucs still not ready. Queens I got after he said he had nuced them are already to move into 10 frame boxes.

One swarm I got on Monday morning May 29th has almost 10 frames of plastic drawn out. Well what they want drawn on that stuff. A dark queen, guessing a Carnie of some sorts.