Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...or pretty close. I took Brady to Open House at his school today after football practice and his homeroom teacher gave me his test scores from last spring. He scored in the Advanced section on all three tests-Math, Reading, and Writing, which is the highest label. I told him I expect great things on his report card with scores like that. He said, "But those tests are easy, school is much harder!" I have struggled with him last year a bit as he gets more B's than I think he should based on his testing potential. He just smiles and tells me that B's are good! He has no stress in his life about grades... Really I don't say too much, there is a lot to be said for being happy and content.

·
23,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yea, he does that. When he was invited into the gifted class and he did not want to be in it, he told me that if I "made" him do the class-which I would never do- that the next test he had to take he would miss every question! I could see him doing that, sitting there figuring out the right answer and marking the wrong box. I have a rebel on my hands I think!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Your post made me chuckle. First of all, congratulations on the good report about your boy. What made me chuckle was when you said "I have a rebel on my hands." My dh is profoundly gifted (his IQ is in the genius range). He nearly flunked out of school at one point (he's from Turkey). Then their senior year, all of the students in Turkey are required to take this test and they rank every graduating student in the *entire country* based on intelligence. He ranked as the 31st smartest on the test... boy was his mother livid!! He still likes to talk about how his failing grades used to bug her. :rolleyes: He's a university professor now. Back then (and yeah, even now a bit) he did things his own way.

I wouldn't be too hard on your boy about his grades... he's smart and he has great things ahead of him. Sometimes people like this think on such a completely different plane than we do, that we cannot comprehend their boredom at things intellectual. Teachers sometimes can't deal with students that are smarter than them. Congratulations again! Can't wait to hear the wonderful things in store for this guy! (And that fact that he's a free-thinker!!! Great!)

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
And I have the opposite, a girl who gets excellent grades but bombs on standardized tests. (sigh) I'd rather have the grades, but as much as told her not to worry, I know that soon these tests will be important for her too. So we'll have to work on test taking skills. I told her that's a lot easier to learn than the material the test covers, which cheered her up a bit.

I was the smart (on paper) kid with the terrible grades, so I can see both sides!

·
Banned
3,280 Posts
Melissa said:
...or pretty close. I took Brady to Open House at his school today after football practice and his homeroom teacher gave me his test scores from last spring. He scored in the Advanced section on all three tests-Math, Reading, and Writing, which is the highest label. I told him I expect great things on his report card with scores like that. He said, "But those tests are easy, school is much harder!" I have struggled with him last year a bit as he gets more B's than I think he should based on his testing potential. He just smiles and tells me that B's are good! He has no stress in his life about grades... Really I don't say too much, there is a lot to be said for being happy and content.

Congratulations:

But Brady got all of those brains and smarts from Cale.

That's right Cale.
I mean he was smart enought to marry you wasn't he, or was he ? ? ? :shrug:

He saw, what he saw, and he knowed what he saw, and he liked what he saw ! ! ! :p

Then when you spoke to him he went crazy and said;
I got's to have that girl. :baby04:

Later you two had four fine kids.

And one may be a genius. :dance:

bumpus

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I have a son like that! The oldest one, who chose to become a Marine (10 more days til he goes to boot camp!), was much like that in school. Always tested extremely high, but his report cards sure didn't reflect his abilities. He loved learning, but hated to have to write anything down (so alot of the time didn't complete his homework). In 8th grade we had him evaluated to 'prove' to his school that he was not in need of remedial classes. At 13 years old he scored at the intellectual level of an 18 yr old in their first semester of college on everything except writing! Even that category was above his age-level. He has a favorite shirt he bought himself that says "Genius by birth, slacker by choice". Somehow I don't think he will think it's funny to call himself a slacker once the drill sergeants get ahold of him! :eek:

My other son is just as bright, but to him grades matter. To him, a B is the end of the world. He has been a 4.0 student of his own will since he was 10 years old and figured out there was such a thing as 4.0! Now that he is starting high school (and taking Algebra 2 as a freshman), he has people starting to make comments about 'when Karl graduates valedictorian. . .' He hates attention though, and tells us he is planning to graduate 3rd in his class just so he doesn't have to make a speech at the graduation ceremony! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
Still, you should challenge him when you can. Tell him we'll need a good pilot for the first Mars mission, a person with both physical and intellectual abilities. Remind him that Neil Armstrong was born in Wapakoneta, so there is precedence for Ohio producing good pilots. Best wishes for your son.

·
Turkey Wrangler
5,193 Posts
It sounds like Brady is a great kid and you are a great mom for not pushing.
My son scores at the top of standardized tests, and his grades have always been high honors, he slipped a bit at the end of last year, his dad (my ex) went nuts, I did not, he has a social life and his music.... life is not all school and books, his dad's life was and he had 0 social life and is a bit of a weirdo for it I think.

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
Congrats to you, too, after all you started his "learning"!

We went to 7th grade orientation Monday. The principle told the kids to shoot for C's :shrug: :grump:

I shot my son a look & he said, wow, C's!! He always on the high honor or honor. I just couldn't believe the man said that! :nono:

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
One of our DS, we knew he could do better. So we put in the form of money. If Bradly is going to college how much will he save out of his pocket and yours by better grades. DS dropped from a 3.8 to a 3.5 and it cost him $5000 THAT got his attention. He can chose to work a little more now or pay for a long time. Choices........

·
Premium Member
24,573 Posts
Congrats to Brady! I hope he does well now and in the future.

I also have a "genius" son. He missed ONE question on the SAT's. He dropped out of high school the beginning of his senior year, aced the GED in 15 minutes, immediately started college, and hasn't accomplished a single thing since. He loves to learn, but has no desire to do anything with what he's learned. He was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder when he was 21 (he'll be 26 in Oct). Normal, every day mishaps send him into a tailspin. A flat tire can send him into a raging panic. His ability to learn and comprehend is tremendous. His ability to function normally in society is almost nonexistant. I am fortunate that he is currently in a good situation and is happy. It hasn't always been that way. He's attempted suicide once. He's had a nervous breakdown and had to live with us in the past. Currently he's doing okay, for him.

Embrace those B's and the normalcy of your son. He's a good kid and, with his intelligence and levelheadedness I'm sure he'll do great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.