He's here

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Nov 5, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, it's been an exausting & frustrating day/night. Excuse the typos!

Petals could only get the 2 hooves out. After trying for an hour, we had to take her to the vet. We pulled, but she was just too small.

The vet hooked a puppy puller to the babies lower jaw & pulled for probably 5 minutes. It was horrible!

Petals seems fine, the baby, I think, has a broken jaw. Unable to nurse, but healthy otherwise. The poor thing tries & tries to nurse, but can't get his jaw & tongue to close strong enough.

So I've been milking & tube feeding. I must say, it scares me!! I've done it about 7-8 times so far, & every time I dread it! The vet thinks in 1-2 weeks, the jaw should be ok. He says the muscles are stretched. I don't know, it looks terrible! He is a big boy & his head was just too big for Petals. She is a good mother, & if things would have worked out right, he would be fine otherwise.

I'm trying to make a sling for his lower jaw to hold it shut. He can't even close it.

I need to sleep now, I also have the flu, a tooth filled yesterday & my TMJ is really acting up.

I'll post pics later, I haven't taken any yet. Oh, & his name is Thorn.

Tricia :stars:

2. Shazza

Shazza Well-Known Member Supporter

Thankgoodness everything worked out. Hope Thorn is feeling better soon.
    Sounded just like us with our Petula...1 giant buck kid...we didnt have the Vet visit though. :)

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Oh, Mamahen, that does sound like a frustarting night. I hope Thorn heals up fine for oyu. We have 10 settled does, so I enjoy hearing other people's experiences becasue my does will be kidding again soon enough. Thanks for sharing your story, and bless you as you continue to nourish the lil' fellow.

4. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Wow...hang in there! I can totally relate! I came down with something like appendicitis the day my boys needed to get fixed and I had no where to put them except in a open pasture....meaning the pasture was open to my nieghbors land and eventually the road. i.e. Lots of worries, while I was feeling miserable!

Sounds like things will take some time but be ok in the long run...try to get help where you can....if you take it one step at a time...you'll get through it all. It amazing how we can find the strength to deal with our families when they need us! (real families and furry families)

I wish I was closer so that I could help you! Hang in there, you seem to be doing great!

Corrie Ann

5. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Glad to hear that Petals is doing good, and I hope that Thorn heals as quick as possible. When our goat Lola had her baby Ivy at six months old, we just walked out and there she was, we sure were lucky, only one girl of regular size, although she was already half the size of her mama. When we first found Ivy though she was having trouble walking, and continued to have troubles for the next few days, and she was unable to nurse. We did not have a bottle that was suitable for the baby, so I took a plastic zip lock bag, put some of Lola's colustroem in it, and put a little hole in one corner of the bag, and gave her colustroem when she was about 30 minutes old, we could not get her to eat any other way. Well good luck, I will be routing for you. Bye.