hernia?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Jennifer122102, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

One of the 100 lb pigs we just brought home has a small bulge on her belly. Is it most likely a hernia? Is there anything we can do for her so that she will eventually be able to be bred, or is she bound for the freezer?

Jennifer

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm sure one of our more experienced members can help you Jennifer. I haven't encountered a similar situation yet. Best wishes,

3. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jennifer
    Put her in the freezer as a tendancy for hernias is genetic!! Make sure she gets plenty of exercise and solid food, not slop. She will make good meat for your freezer but if you take her to market they will dock you a third or more of the value :( I would tell the breeder I you got her from and see if he offers part of your money back!!!! This gilt would be very deeply discounted if she went to the sale and he may have used your inexperiance to get full value for her :no:
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Wanda's man gave you good advice. As long as it don't get huge and risk getting torn open she will do ok until you are ready to butcher her.

5. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

OK, if you paid feeder price for this hog, the farmer owes you a few bucks. If you paid breeding stock price, he owes you at least the difference between feeder pig price, and breeding stock price plus a few bucks. If he gave you a really good feeder price on the pigs, give him a big kiss, and offer to take all his ruptures off his hands. I have a friend who raises pigs, and I help him out casterating and such, and he always gives me a few ruptures every year.

6. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

Thanks everyone for your responses. Our vet stopped by yesterday and said the little bulge is a cyst. He thinks it is related to an injury she got on the trailer ride home. She somehow hurt her leg and wouldnt put any weight on it for a week or so. She's putting weight on it now, but is still stumbling a little. The vet seems to think she may have some nerve damage and hopefully she'll eventually get better, we just need to wait and see. He says the cyst on her belly and another bubble on her back could be related to the leg thing. She's eating good, acting full of spunk, and getting along much better.
    These two pigs were purchased as breeding stock, so I'm really hoping everything works out and she doesn't end up being the most expensive piece of meat I ever bought.

Jennifer