Herman Wouk (how to pronounce ?)

Discussion in 'Book Reviews' started by rickfrosty, Oct 13, 2011.

1. rickfrosty

rickfrosty RF in Western Mtns.of ME Supporter

N.W. corner of ME by both NH, & Quebec border.
    Always on the lookout for books - salvaged a Herman Wouk book somewhere called "War and Rememberance" - very good ! Historical novel of WWII . Could so easily have turned out differently ??
    I knew this man's name as a good author somehow, but don't recall reading anything else he wrote ?
    Just recieved my new James Rawles "Survivors", as well as "Alas, Babylon" by Pat Frank which I threw in for an attempt at Amazon free shipping, but ended up buying w/my Amazon credits anyway, never had done that, very cool.

2. LonelyNorthwind

LonelyNorthwind Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, you must find a copy of "The Winds of War" which is the prequel to Winds of War. Interesting you should menion it, I was thinking the other day of going to library to get those books and read them once again. They're wonderful.

fordy likes this.

3. rickfrosty

rickfrosty RF in Western Mtns.of ME Supporter

N.W. corner of ME by both NH, & Quebec border.
    Thank you for agreeing, can't recall if I've read this fellow before, but this work is wonderfull. Nice long book too !
    Are you all ready for another winter ? near the coast, or back in the 'outback' ?
    I have my firewood in at my house & my rents, but watching price of Kero like a hawk to buy a tankfull for my place.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................I have read both , winds of war and war and rememberance and will reread them again for pure pleasure ! , fordy

5. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

I just finished watching the movies of both War and Remembrance and Winds of War. Very good. I must find the books too.

6. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

They were very good. They are a miniseries right?

BTY Rick, the name is pronounced "Woke", like "I just woke up".

7. vickinell

vickinell Well-Known Member

I have read both of those books, many years ago. I think I also read Marjorie Morningstar. If I like a book I always try to find other books by that author.

8. Goldie

Goldie Well-Known Member

Yes Tinknal, they were a miniseries. I bought the movies from Amazon and watch them both every year. I never tire of them.

9. sherry in Maine

sherry in Maine Well-Known Member Supporter

I have read Wouk's stuff . . . . was he blacklisted in 50s? (cant recall what I read of him)

I read them during my tours of duty in europe. Enjoyed them.

10. conehead11

conehead11 New Member

Another great Wouk(pronounced Woke) novel is The Caine Mutiny and it is a masterpiece. I know, you've seen the movie. So have I. And the movie, while a great movie, doesn't come close being as good as the book. Isn't that usually the case though? Wouk, now 97, spent three years of WWII aboard a DMS(minesweeper)...which accounts for his ability to weave an incredible tale of life aboard a US Navy warship in combat. If you like the book, also check out The Cruel Sea by Nicholas Monsarrat and HMS Ullysses by Alistair MacLean.

11. fellini123

fellini123 Well-Known Member

When I was in highschool I did my year report on Herman Wouk. I read several of his books and wrote a whole thing on the similairities of them and his writing. He is very good. I enjoyed the books even though he was a bit deep for a highschooler.
    Alice in Virginia