Heritage Pigs Declared Invasive Species by Michigan DNR

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Jeremiahc, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Jeremiahc

Jeremiahc Well-Known Member

I don't have any pigs but thought you all might want to check this out. Michigan DNR has declared many heritage pigs an invasive species. And they must be destroyed by April 1st without compensation. Check out Mark's videos.

Video 1:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBdU1_Y82HY&feature=related[/ame]

Yknot likes this.
  2. DarleneJ

DarleneJ Well-Known Member

We listened to/watched this man's video. Shortly after, my husband asked me to find out the Muslim population of Michigan.

What I found was very interesting.

“Michigan: the Islamic capital of the US
    By Sher Zieve

As of 2005, Michigan held the largest and still growing Muslim population in the United States and the second largest Arab population outside of the Middle East…”

You can read the whole article here:

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/zieve/070111

Perhaps someone is doing someone else a favor… That stinks.

Yknot likes this.

3. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, someone is doing someone a favor. Just not the way you are telling it.
    Game ranches have been serving the rich with a way to hunt deer and insure sucess. They let a buck out of the pen and when it comes to the bait pile, the "hunter" shoots. People pay from a couple thousand on up to many thousands. As a result, Michigan has a couple hundred farms raising deer for these hunt clubs.

But, the average guy can't afford such hunts. A new business of shooting Wild Boar sprung up. Guys went down south and brought up Wild Boar to be hunted at hunt clubs. A guy that can't afford a few grand for a deer, can afford $600 to shoot a Wild Boar. Thet got popular and many guys started importing Wild Boar and raising them for the Hunt Clubs.

Trouble started a few years ago, when a few from every hunt club escaped and a lot from a few hog Ranches escaped. One farmer lost 250 Wild Hogs in a month. They breed fast and are hard to catch. Some carry psudorabies, a pig disease eliminated in commercial pigs years ago.

Well, the wild Hogs are spreading and doing damage to woodlands, crops and lawns. Hunters are encouraged to shoot on sight. Land owners are asked to shoot on sight. But these wary beasts are hard to find.

DNR's ban is on three basic types of Wild Hogs. If those are the heritage you cling to, too bad. Michigan Pork farmers are growing quality hogs and they aren't about to let some novelty sport wreck their business.

Muslum population centered around Dearborn hasn't effected pork sales, but the value of goats and lamb seems to be increasing.

eclipchic and farmerDale like this.
  4. Jeremiahc

Jeremiahc Well-Known Member

There were actually about three pages of breeds that were banned. It's a shame THIS responsible pork farmer is being forced out of business because of the irresponsibility of others. Scary the DNR can come in and change some definitions to suit their needs. His pigs are not considered livestock so he will not be compensated at all...

Part 2:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOBUKrMXfGw&feature=related[/ame]

Part 3:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=kwD4vZmUAUQ&feature=endscreen

Yknot likes this.
  5. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Can you please provide a link to "the 3 pages of breeds listed?
    Youtube videos generally are not what I consider a 'reliable' source.
    I am curious, as I live in Michigan and want to raise Herford Hogs (a heritage breed)

6. Kazahleenah

All I can find on the MichiganDNR site is

7. Lazy J

Lazy J Well-Known Member Supporter

The ban is NOT for Heritage breed, rather specific species of pigs, Sus scrofa. The pig farmer on the video has that species, so to stay in business he needs to switch species of pigs, Sus domestica which encompasses the typical breeds of pigs virtually everyone rasies for meat.

Jim

farmerDale likes this.
  8. Kazahleenah

So, is there a list of breeds? DNA test? or do they just decide on a case by case basis what breeds are banned?

9. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

10. Allen W

Allen W Well-Known Member

Sounds like a scary slope, would like to see some kind of official list. Feral hogs are a growing problem but the wild hogs I see here have a domestic back ground. Not for sure if this law will help or just be another law to trap some body in.

11. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Many states have the same type of law.
    It is to stop the wild hogs from multiplying and destroying crops, animals, and endangering people. Domestic hogs are not in the group. Feral hogs are.

farmerDale likes this.
  12. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

Add to that swine diseases.
    Taken years to bring some swine diseases under control.
    The wild hog does pose a problem for the domestic pigs and the farmer raising them with different swine diseases.

13. Gailann Schrader

Gailann Schrader Green Woman

IMHO it seems like it'd be easier to declare a ban on loose hogs.

whatever the loose hogs might be.

Besides, the "domesticated" pig is sus scrofa domestica - shortened to sus domestica.

AND if I decide I don't like yer piggers and whatever smell I think they have?

Betcha I'll rat you out to the authorities as I'll bet there's gonna be a bonus/reward for said illegal hogs.

You got curlie-tailed, straight eared hogs or straight-tailed, floppy eared hogs? Or any combo of the two? And I don't like 'em? Betcha I'll rat you out. This could be worth $$ to me to turn you in...

AND quite a lot of the feral hogs are resistant to diseases. The hot-house piggers can croak if you sneeze in there...

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
    Yknot likes this.
  14. Gailann Schrader

... and and? Feral pigs are free food for the less fortunate...

sakes.

Next thing they'll outlaw everything but battery chickens and eggs from same.

What about feral cats? They cause all MANNER of issues. Outlaw them too...

and I'm not too overly fond of miniature horses or pet rats. Let's do away with them as well.

:umno:

Yknot likes this.
  15. pointer_hunter

pointer_hunter Well-Known Member

16. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

Wild hogs have almost destroyed a military cemetery near where I live.

17. Gailann Schrader

I understand what you are saying, Pancho, but wild anything can tear up stuff. A group of groundhogs will cause LOTS of problems.

I still think Michiganders are missing the big picture. From the Michigan Traffic site: Michigan had 55,867 reported motor vehicle-deer crashes during 2010. 1,433 people were injured and 11
    people were killed as a result of those collisions. eight of the 11 people killed were motorcycle drivers, two
    were passenger car drivers and one was a van driver. Of the 56,101 vehicles involved, 40,136 (71.5%) were
    passenger cars, 10,547 (18.8%) were pickups, and 3,137 (5.6%) were minivans, vans, and motorhomes. All
    other vehicle types (including motorcycle, snowmobile, ORV/ATV, large truck, moped) totaled 2,281 (4.1%).
    Motor vehicle-deer crashes occurred most often in Michigan’s heavily populated southern counties; Kent
    County had the highest number with 1,976 such crashes in 2010.

Now, from the Michigan DNR site concerning wild hogs: Thirty years ago, there were no feral swine sightings reported in Michigan. By the end of 2011, more than 340 feral swine had been spotted in 72 of Michigan's 83 counties, and 286 have been reported killed.

Oooh. And bears? Them big things that have the big, nasty teeth and claws? From the DNR: Approximately 15000 - 19000 black bears (including cubs) roam the hardwood and conifer forests of northern Michigan.

I'm not saying it's not a problem. It IS a growing problem all over the United States. But to blame and/or destroy a farmer's livelihood with no compensation because of feral hogs? Is akin to destroying a breeder's prized Abyssinian cats because feral cats eat birds. Does not compute.

Yknot likes this.
  18. pancho

pancho Well-Known Member

I think you might have a different idea of what destroy means when it comes to wild hogs.
    In the military cemetary headstones and monuments have been turned over, graves dug up, and acres of lawn looks like a bomb field with large craters that a pickup can't drive across.

comparing the damage done by a groundhog to a wild hog is like comparing the damage done by a hamster to that done by a rhino.

farmerDale likes this.
  19. cooper101

cooper101 Well-Known Member

Not solely blaming that farmer, but he's part of the problem. Maybe even one of the sources of it. Hard to pin ground-hog damage on any one individual. Is one farmer's livelihood worth the tax money it's going to cost to (maybe) eliminate them or the damage done to surrounding areas that private landowners will have to pay?

It's the same story over and over. We toy with things that we think we can control. We can't control it, it gets out of hand. Are there any stories of non-indigenous species entering an area that ended well?

farmerDale likes this.
  20. Gailann Schrader

No, I'm not actually trying to compare them as closely as what it seemed - my point that I was trying to make is that we've had indigenous and non- creating havoc for as long as we've been here.

These pigs? Can we be sure where they came from? This particular farmer keeps his secured.

Imho, it's like wildfires that burn thousands of acres. Traced back to some single source. Someone or somehow something allowed these animals to get loose. Now we have to control and reduce the feral population.

Broadly eradicating the controlled population isn't going to change the established feral population. Do you have your Hamps and Large Blacks secured? They can just as easily breed with the feral population. The legislation is to eradicate all on-the-family-farm hogs and only have CAFOs in Michigan.

Going by phenotype is a poor way to choose - especially when it destroys someone's livelihood. The criteria is one of the following: straight or curly tail and floppy or straight ears. What pig doesn't have those?

Again, I'm not saying it's not a problem. And a growing one. But to walk onto your farm or smallholding, take a look at your animals (including ALL Old-World swine. i.e., everything but CAFO hogs) and determine they are to be shot on sight as they are considered feral? Ridiculous.

Seems that as of 3/13/2012 there's an injunction against this as being "too vague to enforce." Uh, yeah.