Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So other places have signs like this or is it an Oklahoma thing?

My DH grew up in a "prison town" he honestly thought that all towns had these signs at the highways coming in....lol except for maybe one and a half years, ever place he had ever lived had these signs!!!!!

Rachel

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
In this state, there are signs stating the name of the facility, then under it, Do Not Pick Up Hitchhikers. Makes more sense to me, anyway.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
I've seen similar signs in Texas and in a few other states.

·
Registered
31,752 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:

So other places have signs like this or is it an Oklahoma thing?

My DH grew up in a "prison town" he honestly thought that all towns had these signs at the highways coming in....lol except for maybe one and a half years, ever place he had ever lived had these signs!!!!!

Rachel
I think I've seen this one along highway 69 in mid OK.

Patty

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for the English nuts.....something I learned in College "English Usage" class....

the wording leaves it open to interpretation.....let me use some different wording

Hitchhikers may be "running from" inmates
or
Hitchhikers may be "unaccounted at their facility" inmates

I mean....the word 'escaping' yes it is clear that the hitchhiker is "running" but from what????

(read the sign again)

It puts a whole new spin on whether or not to pick up that hitchhiker!!!!!

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
RachAnn in NW Okla said:
for the English nuts.....something I learned in College "English Usage" class....

the wording leaves it open to interpretation.....let me use some different wording

Hitchhikers may be "running from" inmates
or
Hitchhikers may be "unaccounted at their facility" inmates

I mean....the word 'escaping' yes it is clear that the hitchhiker is "running" but from what????

(read the sign again)

It puts a whole new spin on whether or not to pick up that hitchhiker!!!!!
Yes, your sign is badly worded, I was trying to explain this to DH that your sign suggests hitchikers may be escaping FROM the inmates, and perhaps really needed a ride, but DH the CO did not get what I was saying......
:shrug:

·
Milk Maid
2,873 Posts
LOL. Thanks for the giggle :D

We have signs warning about picking up hitchhikers near the prison, but I don't think it's worded quite like that :p

·
Registered
177 Posts
Tricky Grama said:
I think I've seen this one along highway 69 in mid OK.

Patty
now I'm going to have to go drive around the prison and see if it's one of ours. "BigMac" is about 3 or 4 miles from where I work. :)

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
I love signs like this! We had a new tire store open in a little town next to us.. It has their name in big bold letters and then it said "New and Use Tires"

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
drgnldy71 said:
now I'm going to have to go drive around the prison and see if it's one of ours. "BigMac" is about 3 or 4 miles from where I work. :)
the signs are on the highways within a mile of the edge of town....

we have 3 highway signs....the one north of town is maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile from town....the one to the east is about a mile from the edge of town....and the one from the west is about a mile before the turnoff for the back way into town--which happens to butt up against the backside of the facility!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts