Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love quilts. I love fabric - how it feels, how it looks - I've got myself a good stash. I have pictures and instructions and books all of quilts I like.
I belong to the "Quilt Block Collector Club." LOL I know some of you know what I'm talking about. I enjoy gathering patterns, shopping for fabric and sewing them together. I have so much fun participating in the swaps.

My problem is that I can't decide what quilt to make. I just can't seem to force myself to just choose one and start it. I have made a few red/white/blue for the Veterans hospital. But, I didn't choose the colors or the patterns.
I can't decide! They are all beautiful. Each one would look lovely on my bed.

Help! How do you deal with this? Am I the only one that has this problem?

prairiegirl

·
Registered
487 Posts
Prairiegirl,
I have the same problem. I just can't make up my mind. The way I solved my indecisiveness with the Thimbleberries quilt, was let my dh pick the one for me to make. LOL I showed him all the pictures of the finished quilts in the book and had him pick the one he liked best. You might try that. It worked well for me. LOL
Winona

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
LOL! I have a bad habit of just buying fabric (okay, at least not right now...) just because I like it. I have no immediate plans for it, but I'll take it home and put it in my stash box. Yeah, it's getting full :p

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
Make smaller quilts. Quilts for a single bed or juvenile bed, even crib size. These quilts can be used on a bed, as cuddlers in the den, or hung on the wall. You'll find patterns that you love (make a full sized quilt) and those that you don't care for (lesson learned).

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of fabriholism. I'm a fabriholic, myself. Yeah, we buy the fabric 'saying' it's to make something with, but when it doesn't happen, we go and buy more and more and more...because knowing deep down inside, once you cut that fabric, it isn't whole anymore and thus creating a void in our addictive lives - off we go to buy more to replace it.

While I don't think a 12-step program would work for the likes of us, I think I have an idea...just make sampler blocks....take all the patterns you like and make 1 block fromm each of them.

1) you will get the taste of what it's like to create something without the large scale hassel of commiting to a full project.

2) it encourages you to 'let go' of some of the fabric by using little peices of it, not large piece which can really damage any progress you may have gained from 1).

3) save change from other purchases and vow to only spend only that money on fabric. This should help tame the beast and keep you from spending too much o something you probably don't need.

4) go to a large, really large fabric store, even if it's an outlet that sell upholstery, and roll all over the bolts. Feel to your hearts content, sniff, fidget, etc...then just ask for a swatch and leave. The people don't look at you so strangely if they think you are there for a purpose other than getting a fab-fix.

:p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts