Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For lack of a better place to ask this question, I was wondering if anyone knows, has seen, or had experience to know of birds in N. America that feed on insects exclusively at NIGHT.
The thing that got me thinking about this is the garden where slugs and some plant damaging insects and pests work almost exclusively at night. Seems it would be an advantageous 'niche' for birds that would feed at night. I know bluebirds pick at bugs in the garden in the daytime, but the cutworm is one example I've had problems with eating leaves off plants only at night. I see nothing that would feed on them, but some bird somewhere must be able to.
Yes, owls feed at night, but are there any that would feed on insect larva on a plant or the ground?

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
MW,

I can't think of a single ground feeding night bird, even Nighthawks, Whip-poor-wills and such give up shortly after dusk when it is completely dark out.

I heard from a Naturalist friend this spring that there were several sightings in this area of Barred Owls digging for night crawlers after a hard rain.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Margie

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Margie,
I see lots of birds feeding at dusk, or 'near dark'. Once it's dead night, there is nothing I ever notice feeding on insect life. I've seen woodcocks feeding the low spots for their worms in the dark, usually in the wee a.m. hours.
The cutworm problem I encountered in my tomato patch got me out there with a flashlight to pick them off, because they aren't seen doing the damage in the day. Not one single bird or animal is eating these cutworms like I would see birds such as a guinea fowl eating stuff like that in the day. Slugs also are out en masse at night, though in the day I've seen guineas pick underneath where they hide.

L

·
0 Posts
Ducks eat at night, and they like slugs and snails, so they might be a possibility to consider.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sunraven said:
Not a bird but bats eat insects at night.
yup, but they would eat flying insects, right?

Kiwis eat insects and are nocturnal feeders I think , but that's in N. Zealand. lol

L

·
0 Posts
moonwolf said:

Kiwis eat insects and are nocturnal feeders I think , but that's in N. Zealand. lol
Nightjars eat flying insects at night.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Common night hawks will feed all night in situations with artificial light. I remember being able to hear them in the middle of the night diving and making that "rubber band" sound in the area over the lighted parking lot where I worked. Of course, they were catching flyers but if the ground bugs you are being troubled by are catipillar stages of moths, they would be eliminating the breeders. The big questions would be whether or not the light would attract more flyers than just leaving things alone. I did not know ducks fed over night. Maybe check into Musckovies?

·
Registered
390 Posts
moonwolf said:

They not only eat flying bugs but can also pick them off of things. I have even seen them pick them off the ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts