Here's a pic of Thorn & Petal

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mamahen, Nov 8, 2005.

1. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

Try this again:

Petal & Thorn
    [​IMG]

And this is the daddy, Spike

[​IMG]

2. mamahen

Tell me if I'm wrong, but if I keep Thorn in his sling for 1-2 weeks, by then it should heal & be ok?

I'm hoping he still has use of his lower jaw to graze. As of right now, he can nurse, but can't really pick up anything with that booboo. He tries to mouth my fingers, but can't really. Also trying to pick up leaves & such, but can't seem to manipulate them well.

Tricia

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

best to cull him

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Why cull him if he is a pet? Why cull him if it is not genetic? I belive you said it was totally cosmetic, and from being pulled?
    Anyways, Did you have a vet come see him? He may need antibiotics, something else. Your vet will be able to tell you if he is going to be ok as well, better than we can. From Just those pictures I dont think we can answer if he is going to be ok.
    *Sorry, went back and read your previous post and saw that your vet pulled him! If the vet thinks he is going to be ok, then he should be. also, Was he able to move his jaw at all at first? If he couldn't, moving it is a good sign. He won't need to graze for a few weeks anyways, so having the sling on shouldn't worry him to much and not being able to graze. after about a week I would start taking it off so he has to relearn to work those muscles. I would only take it off while holding him, however, and try to get him to eat treats out of your hand at the same time. It should teach him how to work those muscles better than with a restrictive sling.
    Hope this helps, and Gosh is he cute! what breed is he?

He is a cutie!

5. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

I attended a problem partuition course earlier this fall and they said that broken jaws do heal on the kids. It happens when kids have to be pulled and they do get over it.

6. mamahen

Yes, it is definatly NOT genetic, just a traumatic birth. The vet said he should be ok in 1-2 weeks, but he was in such a hurry that night, I don't know if he really took the time to check him out. He really didn't have too much movement the first day, it pretty much hung slack, open. When I take it off now, he can hold it closed a little more. It's been 4 days.

He is definatly a little pistol!

His mother is a pygmy/cashmere cross & he's crossed back with the cashmere. This buck seems to throw this color. His dad is always bred with black cashmere does & produces this color without fail!

Tricia

7. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

is the cashmere much larger than the doe? If she had trouble with this birth I would breed her only to pygmies or cashmere bucks smaller than her.
    out of curiosity, I thought cashmere was a type, not a certain breed?

8. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

WOW! This is REALLY creepy, Lola and Ivy are basiclly complete opposites, in color, of Petals and Thorn!
    Here, all I have are the old pics, but I will post them again so everyone can see.
    http://photobucket.com/albums/a376/GoatFreak123/?action=view&current=Pictures1026.jpg
    http://photobucket.com/albums/a376/GoatFreak123/?action=view&current=ad3ef7fe.jpg. The babies seem to be about the same size compared to their mothers though, and Ivy had problems at birth too! But it was with her hind legs. Our goats would seem to have a lot in common, kinda weird, but kinda cool too!
    By the way, both of them are VERY beautiful, and so is Thorn's daddy, is he Petals dad too? I hope that Thorn's jaw heals just fine. Good luck. Bye.

9. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Is the buck a cashmere? He looks a little like a kiko mix. (the horns) Just wondering because I have a kiko pygmy mix...(well, now bunch of them!) and I don't see them often.

Corrie Ann

10. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

Very nice goats. Petal is gorgeous... she looks like a doe deer!

11. mamahen

Let's see if I can answer all questions!

Spike, the buck, came from a friends herd. I was told he was a Cashmere mix. However, Cashmere is really a type (mygoat is right!), not exactly a breed. The dam of Spike was a black fluffy goat. The sire of Spike, looks just like him. I really didn't know was breed the sire was, just that they get really beefy looking when they are older.

Petals was NOT bred on purpose! This was an accidental one time event. Actually, she probably won't be bred again. Plus she was only 7 months at the time of birth, that's the most likely reason for her probelm birth!

Spike is also Petals sire. I am trying to find Spike a new home, unsuccessfully, I might add! If all else fails, he will be taken to the auction. This is my last resort, only because he is in rut & I only have a Jeep! The sale is about 30-40 miles away. NO one around here does goats, only cows (delivers to auctions). I REALLY don't want him in my new Jeep! :eek:

Kiko, huh? I'll have to look that up.

Thorn's jaw moves from side to side, now. It gives me the chills to feel it move that way. I know they are supposed to, but his does when I'm checking him over.

Thanks to everyone! My little herd is very special to me. I think that they are quite cute! They will also stay little, no more additions for awhile!

Tricia

12. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I appologise, looked like a severe case of parrot jaw, and most farms use their animals. Didnt know it was an injury and that he was only a pet. I know so many first timers put so much into genetically defective animals only to realize what a waste (from a farmers perspective) it is. My appologies!!

13. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

That is allright chma4, I am pretty sure that no one took offense. By the way mamahen, Lola and Petals are also the same age now, I believe, Petals is still only seven months old correct? Well bye now.