Here's a Farm/Homestead way to make money!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Kenneth in NC, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Kenneth in NC

Kenneth in NC Well-Known Member

See here what a farm family can do if they try.

http://www.thecountryschool.com/

A brief overview for those that don't want to read it all.
    For nine weeks in the summers they allow kids from the ages of 6-14 (split into two different age groups) to come and spend a week on the farm with them. They don't bill this as much of a learning experience and they make it clear that it's not a program for troubled kids, it's simply an opportunity for children to go 'hang out' on a farm for a week. :)

And for this opportunity to go 'hang out' and help with different projects and regular farm activities they charge over $700 per kid!!! They sign up 25 kids per week and had to turn away at least 50 kids last year!!! It sounds like many kids have returned year after year and some even come twice in a summer!!! :D

So, by my calculations they're making at least $150,000 for only nine weeks work!!! :worship:

It looks doable. Anyone here plan to try it? :)

Kenneth

2. tooltime

tooltime Border Ruffian

I agree it sounds like a good program, but I wonder what they pay for liability insurance.

Other thing I wonder is if they have their sanity left at the end of the summer.

3. GrannySue

GrannySue Active Member

I've often pondered the idea - tried something 'similar' in the burbs. Used to get PD groups (parents AND kids) & go out to the woods, identify trees, clean up litter, do small art projects, bird-watch etc. Not bad, and really busy - wondered if it would apply if I ever got acreage - glad it seems to!

I have to agree about the insurance, though - anything involving people under 18 is horrendous. Insuring home-baked goods is far cheaper and easier!

Still - I'm going to check them out and add that idea back onto my list, lol!

(Good to see you again!)

Sue

4. Blu3duk

Blu3duk Well-Known Member

Not as much as a person might think, when we were running the karate school and kick boxing full time with the boxing ring up we were paying a little over $700 per year for $2 million liability per incident, and the special events could be covered for about $300 or less for everything from participants to spectators.....

the big cost in something like this is more the advertising in the begining and the cost of putting the whole place together to keep everyone busy for a whole week and the whole length of time involved than it is anything else, once it gets put toghther the maintainance of the program would be minimal as well, just a little upkeep spending on the ubildings and such.

William

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'm wondering how they manage to keep the 'troubled kids' out? And what they do when the parents send them 'troubled kids' anyhow?

6. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to do something like this. My new homestead is just a bunch of trees right now though. I'm at least 2-3 years from being set up for something like this. Might be good to start it as a day camp. Then the liability wouldn't be as high with you not keeping the children overnight.