Hereford heifers

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by chrisnev, Jun 16, 2006.

1. chrisnev

chrisnev Well-Known Member

My husband has to go in for hip replacement in Sept. The cows are way too much for him to handle right now so we are going to get rid of our herd..A gentle man wants a price on our 2 herefords with a 4 month heifer calf and both bred back to an Angus. Could you give us a fair price..these are family raised,come when you call my children and hubby feed them by hand. They are gorgeous healthy heifers. Just want to make sure we are in the ball park..We are in Northern Maine..Thanks, Chris

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Location and timing mean a lot. This is what I have gotten: I just sold my 7 month old angus heifer for $557 at the auction. A few months before she would have fetched maybe $100 more- next month she might have brought $50 less. I purchased a mature red angus with charolais x heifer calf at her side right before winter for $850 at auction. Auction owner told me it was a great buy- she could have easily brought $950 and up given a bigger audience. We don't see many Herefords here but a quality young from-the-farm purebred cow can reach up to $1200 open- that is tops. Most bring $850 - $950 bred or with calf at side, hot summers and winters lower price a notch. I hope this helps. Just reporting from my neck of the woods. I hope everything turns out okay. I just sold my herd due to medical reasons. God bless.

3. jhambley

jhambley Well-Known Member

I just bought a few Hereford heifers private treaty for between $1000-$1200.
    They are about 15 months old.

Bought them in western Kansas.

4. jhambley

jhambley Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention these heifers were registered.

Jerry

5. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

here in ar. they went down about 850 to 950 for a pair and the momma is bread back

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

He will have to take into consideration that he will be getting three for the price of one with the purchase of each cow. Those 4 month old calves are worth way over a dollar a pound, and the bred cows should be worth over $800 each. That puts the group at no less than $2200