Here we go again with the poops

Discussion in 'Goats' started by cayenne47, Jul 31, 2006.

1. cayenne47

cayenne47 Critter Mama Supporter

I have two 1-month old boer bucklings. They had some of the signs of coccidiosis(sp?) so i took a fecal to the vet. He said not bad, but there and gave me some albon. They are each getting 5cc twice daily. Could this be causing diahrrea?

I put them on electrolytes for 2 days--no milk. This morning in their pen their feces were back to normal..

BUT just now i fed them quarter-strenghth milk-(1/3 c. mix to 4 cups water instead of 1/3 c.mix to 1 c.water)DO NOT GIVE ME GRIEF ABOUT MILK REPLACERS PLEASE
    Immediately the squirts are back. He even yelled while he did the deed. Otherwise they act fine...eating well, playing, jumping, running..

Should I just stay with the electrolytes? I'm just worried about them not getting enough nutrition.They are just now starting to pick at green growing things, and otherwise the milk is their only food. Btw, the only vet within 50 miles is a small animal practice.

2. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Hey cayenne, I'm wondering if the meds your giving could be messing with rumen organisms? My knowlege is limited, but isn't diarrhea frequently caused by antibiotics killing rumen bugs?

Not sure what Albon is. Is it a sulfa drug?

Hope I didn't make a dumb suggestion :nerd: !

I seem to remember (as a nurse) people complaining of diarrhea after taking antibiotics for something or other.

3. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

Albon will not give them poops but sorry to say replacers will. Give them some probiotics to help replace the good bacteria. I know you don't want to hear abt replacers but my experience each and every time I have tried it (different types too) they got the runs. and anyone I know and most I have read abt have had the same problem. SORRY
    Also Albon is not working is some areas and people have had to go to corid.

4. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I also remember reading that you shouldn't water down the replacer, that makes the poo more runny,it becomes solid at the right strength. Sorry, I don't remember when I read the post and cannot do a search right, no matter how hard I try. :shrug:

5. cayenne47

Albon (sulfadimethoxine) so it is a sulfa drug. But i cannot find anywhere if it does this to babies or not :(

6. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

OK I don't know if anyone has used this on goats but it works wonders on deer. 2 tsp metamucil to 8 oz of milk. We raised a baby doe and she had the squirts really bad when we got her. We tried every thing pepto and all. We have friends that has a deer ranch in Pa. and they told us about the metamucil. After 1 day our little girl was better. Hope this helps. Tam, Sam, and our clan

7. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Well milk replacer should NEVER be watered down. Also the saying "keep doing the same thing and you will keep getting the same result". You know if what you are using isnt working well maybe it is time to change. If you must feed milk replacer put some yogert or buttermilk in it to get some good bacteria in the gut.

8. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Good Luck on your little buck. I use milk replacer but I also have goats milk to add.

9. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Yea I think alot of people do this and it helps. I have a recipe on how to make a formula with milk replacer, goats milk and buttermilk. By add the goats milk you get alot of good bacteria into the gut. I am trying to get leads now on people who sell raw goats milk for next kidding time incase for some forseen reason I need to bottle feed anyone.

10. cayenne47

i dont have access to goats milk..all mine are younger than 6 months...a formula recipe with milk& buttermilk etc would be greatly appreciated.

no one ever did tell me whether albon causes the runs?

PS i took them off the milk yesterday and the albon one day early...and just stayed with the electrolytes and we have dry butts this morning.

11. AllWolf

AllWolf We love all our animals

Albon does not cause the runs in goats. Albon is for the Cocci that goats get and it stops it. I have used it for my goats and it does great job. You need to be giving them hay,and medicated feed to eat because they are old enough now to be eatting hay alone with feed. My little goats I have one is almost 5 weeks old and the other one is 1 1/2 week old and they both are already eatting hay and medicated feed. Plus they get their bottle alone with stuff in it to help prevent the Cocci.

Just a wondering also have they had their shots the CD/T shot?

Did you have the goats check for worms also?

Why I ask because worms can cause the runs.

Good Luck on your goats. :)

12. trob1

trob1 Well-Known Member

Ok here you go! this recipe is my favorite but alittle pricey.
    1 can goat milk (from grocery store)
    1 can water
    1 cup half and half
    put all of this in a half gal milk jug and fill the rest with whole cows milk

or you can use this recipe

take 1 gal of whole milk and pour out 1 cup and add back 1 cup of buttermilk to the gal of milk.

or if you are really straped for cash mix goat milk replacer with equal parts of whole cows milk and for every gal of this mix add 1 cup of buttermilk.

When you give a goat albon the runny poo should go away. Albon is not your goats problem. I feel your goat needs some good bacteria in its rumen.

13. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

This is what i'm currently using on 1.5 week old kids, and they love it, no problems with diarrhia. I wouldn't ever use replacer from what i've heard about it!! I got this recipe from someone on this forum.

1 gallon whole milk (vitamin D cows milk from the store is what I"ve been using), 1 can evaporated milk, 1-cup buttermilk. (Not the low fat kind).
    Pour off 4 cups of whole milk. Add buttermilk, evaporated milk (the whole can). Add back as much whole milk as will fit, shake, pour in bottle and serve warm...