here is a laugh! (a.k.a. help, please?)

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cindyc, Jul 26, 2006.

1. cindyc

cindyc Well-Known Member

Somebody who lives in zone 8b wants ME (!!!) to advise them on putting in a fall garden. Now THAT's funny. I am SOOOOOO just learning. Anybody here know what grows in 8b in the fall. I have looked on line for a "list", and I can find lists of plants/trees/flowers but not veggies.

She says she lost most of her summer veggies to a heat wave where she is. But she has made raised beds out of leftover tin roofing. Wouildn't that intensify heat?

I thought I had better check with the REAL experts before I answered her questions...

Cindyc.

2. rocket

rocket Well-Known Member

You can plant lots of things for a fall garden. I like this planting table:

Planting Table

Plants are given and early (E) and late (L) listing. The L's give you a pretty good idea of what you might plant for a fall garden.

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

http://www.lsuagcenter.com/NR/rdonl...D1DB03D36/15348/HorticultureHintsFall2005.pdf

I will grow New Zealand spinach, buttercrunch lettuce, PacMan broccoli, cauliflower, shallots, tomatoes (till frost), cucumbers (till frost), zuchini (till frost), yellow crookneck (till frost) and most importantly strawberries. Also, they'll want some citrus like satsumas, navel orange, and lemons or limes. Peaches (some with low chilling requirements) will do too. On the link posted, go to page 6 as that is where the veggies' info starts. Also, tell them to look around the website and use all info for SOUTH Louisiana as we are zone 8A-B. I am in 8B and about 50 miles (as the crow flies) from the Gulf. THere are also variety pages and planting guides on the LSU Ag Center website.

Good luck