Here is a good question?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Sep 10, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Let's say you live in the country where you bought an existing home on a surveyed property. Many people living in the country don't necessarily consider them as 'homesteaders' unless they settled a place from scratch, or perhaps if they live more remote.

What do you think? When does 'homesteading' start, and 'country living' end? Are they synonomous? Or, what do you percieve the differences are?

2. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

to me country living is having a nice fancy home in the country, complete with atv's for fun, hot tubs, swimming poos, and all that nicey nice stuff...
    Homesteading is scratching out a living, complete with animals/garden and hard work, with a dip in the pond to cool off. Making the land work with you, not just living on it.

3. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

hmm. Country living is living in the country with all (most) of the modern conviences, yet doing nothing related to sustainability.

Homesteading is working on the land for subsistance as well as sustainability to a more or less degree.

But of course there is a lot of inbetween ground in there also.

there are those that own property, do some sustainability stuff and work a full time job. Thats how most homesteaders start out I think.

Then there are people like my father who move to the country, have an outside job, and want nothing to do with sustainability or subsistance.

To each their own I suppose.

4. elgordo

elgordo Well-Known Member

I'd agree with what the other posts are generally saying. I think the more you can sustain yourself the more you could consider yourself a "homesteader" in the stricter sense. ie a large garden, putting up your own food, raising your own meat. You could go on - spinning our own wool, making hay, growing grain, etc etc.

5. peanutgreen

peanutgreen Well-Known Member

This gave me a chuckle-I picture someone swimming in their sewage lagoon.

6. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

Don't babies wear 'swimming poos' in the kiddie pool? :D

7. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I consider homesteaders as another word for "rural poor folks"...

like me!

lol

8. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

ME TOO!!
    I am one of those rural poor folks - we farm the family farm, whats left of it... its been divided amonst siblings and sold to developers ( his dad's sisters sold it to spouces families when they married, then it was sold from there instead of their children farming it -- also the 80's hit...) We have a portion of his dad's farmland which when he passes on, it will get divided amonst his sisters none of who want to farm and both of which can't manage life without their parents support....

Soooo... we are fighting a loosing battle to stay farmers here in Iowa - but kinda enjoying the ride

:cool: yeah homesteading! (without it, it would be hello food shelf)

9. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

ROFL!!! guess I need to proof my posts!!! :happy:

10. boxwoods

boxwoods Well-Known Member

Homesteading is the act of raising animals for food, and/or collecting eggs and/or growing a garden and/or canning veggies etc. A lifestyle of partial to full sustainability. I think us po people can have a hot tub :sing:

Country living could be people who just enjoy peace and quiet in the country.

11. Hovey Hollow

Hovey Hollow formerly hovey1716

I guess we are kind of in between. We like the modern convienences, and want to have a nice house, well decorated, swimming pool, etc. But I also enjoy having the room to keep the animals I want. I enjoy learning how to garden and can. I love the idea of raising my own meat.I love my chickens, turkeys, cows and horses. I am entertaining ideas on how to make my land make money for me. (Not there yet)However, I like being within 20 minutes of the city, with access to stores, entertainment, etc. I wanted the best of both worlds.
    We will never be homesteaders in the true sense of the word, but I love this forum for all the advice and ideas people here present. I guess if you had to label us you could call us "hobby farmers". I'm happier than I've ever been living this lifestyle so I don't really care what you call us.