Here I go again...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Kazahleenah, Nov 4, 2004.

1. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Well, seems it's happening... *laughs*..... I have been "off the farm for quite a few years.. and is now moving back onto a farm. Not even all the way moved in yet and have already arranged for a bred Oberhasli Doe when I'm settled. I'm addicted! My kids love goats, but PLEAD that we don't ever have 77 again... lol. So, I guess my delimma now is.... how much has changed in the last 8 years? New diseases? medical concerns sprang up? New dietary conclusions? I live in Northern Michigan, and yes, we DO have cold winters... I lean toward the Nubian, Toggenburgs and Oberhasli...
    Thanks!
    Amy

2. nappy

nappy Well-Known Member Supporter

:eek:

77 goats...now that is addictive!! Hope you didn't need to hand milk all of them. Did you have a difficult time culling or was it a choice?

Nappy

3. Kazahleenah

hand milked till I hit 56 goats, then converted a milking system that had always been in our barn... lol. The first 11 I blame on "culling problems"... our doe had babies, kids and I fell in love and they stayed... after the first 11 though... we had such a demand for the milk, I started buying "nicer" does to produce more milk... the kids started showing them in 4-H... kept most the nice doelings, sold the wether kids... in time, we were up to 77 milking Does. (did have 42 does birth one night during a bad blizzard that left us without power for over a week) talk about wanting to let those kids nurse their moms!!! lol. But I loved every one of the goats, they each had a name and a personality of their own... and yes, we still talk fondly of memories from each one.
    Amy

4. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Amy,

You are one REMARKABLE woman! My hat is off to you. Bless your heart, milking 56 goats by hand! The most I ever milked by hand was 17. I milked by hand til I blew out my fingers from milking. I can't imagine all those kiddings in a storm with the electric out. How long have you had goats for? With all those goats did you ship milk?

Well, over the course of 8 yrs not much has changed, CAE and CL are still the biggies. The only thing new would be the scrapie situation. And if you use ADGA tattoes then you don't have to worry about ear tags and an ID number. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head. I'm in AR, used to have a small commercial dairy and wa sup to 70 goats when we stopped shipping milk. I raise Alpines and recently added Oberhaslis. I love their dispositions and they do so well here in the MTs of AR. Welcome to the group and best of luck to you.

Bernice

5. Kazahleenah

Well, in honesty, I did have my two kids... who were then 8 & 10. they were a bit of help. But imagine my face when I was told that all those years I had been hand milking those goats that whole milking setup that was already in the barn could be easily adapted to goats! ~lol~ We had no need to ship our milk, though I did start the process to be licenced, we had so many people wanting the milk for their foals etc that we didn't need to really. We had goats for about 14 years... If you don't mind my asking.... what "is" the scrapie situation?
    Thank you for the welcome...
    Amy

6. geminigoats

geminigoats Well-Known Member

Oh Amy....now that must have been a sight to see....your face after finding out the system could have been converted! I'll briefly mention the scrapie situation. Back about 4 yrs ago, (actually, further back than that, as the volunteer program had been around for a few yrs) but 4 yrs ago was when the federal govt mandated that all goats must be tagged for scrapie. Scrapie is mainly a disease of sheep, however, some goats were in with sheep on a farm and tested positive, can't recall if they actually contracted it or not. But anyways, the federal govt wanted to track the disease and how it spread, etc. Now this was at the time foot and mouth was plauging Eurpoe. So all goats, over 6 months of age must be tagged by a special tag you get from your respective state and then tagged. Here is a website link about scrapie.
    http://www.sheepandgoat.com/scrapie.html Hope this helps. If you are still wondering or have questions just holler!

Bernice

7. Kazahleenah

Bernice...
    That site opened up, but none of the scrapie links work??
    thanks,
    Amy