Here come the leaves!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MaKettle, Nov 12, 2005.

1. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

The big paper bags for curbside pickup of leaves and grass are full and just waiting for someone to pick them up. I can cram 10 of them into the mid-size SUV, providing I'm not hauling much of anything else. Or 12, but the dog insists on going with. Bags hold 30 gal, but some are full and some not. Takes 30 bags to cover the barn floor. The chickens love it! The sheep are not sure what to think, but they are still not speaking to me after getting their fall shots. The stuff slowly breaks up and gets mixed with poop, and can then go back into the bags and wait for spring to go on the garden. Goal is to try for another 30 bags to replenish this batch when it "wears out". Whee! get to kick and scatter leaves everytime I go out to the barn.

2. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I find such peace in sitting out in the barnyard in my old rusty metal rocking chair, my goats around me, and Ho Ho, trying to get in my lap to be rocked and he is grown up (supposed to be) now, and watching the leaves float and spiral to the ground. The goats enjoy munching on them, and I can now look up in the empty branches and see where the squirrels made a big nest, or where the birds raised their little ones. A mocking bird was calling out today and the touch of the frost to come was lingering in the air. The pecans have begun to fall from the pods and the frost will bring them on faster. Yes, I love the leaves falling today, such blessings for free to watch for all of us.

3. albionjessica

albionjessica Hiccoughs after eating

Speaking of being able to see nests, we just found a basketball-sized wasp nest in one of the trees near our place. Never noticed it until the leaves were all blown off this last week during a good windstorm. It's amazing what trees can hide in their branches.

4. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Ma,

I'm a huge leaf scavenger. Use them for the bottom of the chicken pen and for mulch in the garden. I been getting at least 2 truckloads a week since October. My favorite are the ones which are partially shredded by either a leaf vacuum or a lawnmower. My wife has asked me why I don't rake up leaves in our yard but to me it's more fun to pick them up at the curb already bagged and to choose the texture you're looking for. I've just completed covering the 32x 50' garden with them about 6" deep. Like you, I'd like to stockpile some more for the spring

5. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

Ma,

I may have scored the motherlode. I think our local leaf collection in our borough may be willing to bring leaves to the house by the truckload. WooHoo!

6. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

My stepmother in the city has a lawn service spray for dandelions and fertilize her lawn. She's meticulous about keeping her lawn raked up. I've often wanted to take her leaves but thought it would be bad because of the chemicals on her lawn. Do you think that would be a problem if I used it for bedding for the chicken coop?