Herdwick Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by minnikin1, Feb 9, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

(I'm having trouble posting, so if this is a repeat post, please forgive....)

Does anyone know if the Herdwick breed has ever been imported into the US, or is this strictly a UK breed? (This is that gorgeous breed that writer
    Beatrix Potter used to raise..)

2. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Hello,

They can only be found in the UK, and even there, mainly in the Lakes district.

Here are some sites that might be of interest.

http://www.herdwick-sheep.com/

http://www.lakestay.co.uk/herdwick.html

They look to be a neat sheep. The only way I can think to bring some over is through Semen. And do what the Breeders for the Wensleydale did.

:)

3. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thanks for the great sites.

Isn't semen importation regulated? (as in: request denied! resubmit in 30 days for final disapproval!)

4. bergere

bergere Just living Life

Yes it is, but Oogie with her Black Welsh Mountain sheep had semen imported a few years ago,,same with the wensleydale sheep through a different person. It can be done but it is spendy.

If you are really interested, I can send you Oogie's Email and have you get in touch with her. She would be able to point you in the correct direction to get started.
    PM me if interested. :)

The company handling the actual importation of semen is Elite Genetics. If you are interested and have not purchased Black Welsh Mountain semen already contact Deb Gourley, Elite Genetics, (319) 568-4551 for information. One requirement is that all flocks must be in the Federal Voluntary Scrapie program before using the UK semen.

5. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Thanks for the really good information. I'd would be interested to find out more.
    I'm in such a preliminary stage at this point - I'm not even sure which breed I would initially want to cross with!
    But I would like to know if the cost factor makes this even feasible for me, and what kind of time frame I would have to plan for..

PM was giving me trouble. The site claims I'm not logged in.