Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I adopted a 4 month old puppy from a rescue center. The dog appears to be some type of mixed herding dog. According to the vet, a border collie/lab cross.

I'm wondering how old herding and hunting dogs are before they start showing their traits.

I don't really need a herding dog, or for that matter a hunting dog, but exercise and fun might as well surround what the dog does best.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Wait................what?
2,257 Posts
I'm no expert, by any means, but it may depend on the dog. By four months, my BC/lab X was definitely leaning towards the water dog half. She loved to fetch, would almost point at birds and such, and you couldn't keep her out of the water, swam like a fish. Now, she's 8 and the herding half is coming out. She's taken to herding the cats (they're thrilled) and when I use her to chase off the neighbors cows, she's definitely showing some herding characteristics. She used to just run thru the middle of them and chase blindly. I suspect some dogs of the same breeding may also just be dogs. I also have golden retriever/aussie X and he's just a dog. No retrieving characteristics in the least but no herding characteristics either. He's just a great family/kid dog who loves to go out and play with his people in any fashion they want. He does love to run, tho. So I'd just try playing with the pup in different ways and see what the dog likes. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I got a border collie that I adopted at the animal shelter last month. I defintely notice some herding instincts but I have no idea of his history since he was a stray.

I heard an ad on the radio this morning for a sheep herding demonstration dog show near Portage, WI this weekend. I think we will go just for fun.

Here is the website:
Wisconsin Working Stock Dog Association

Their website is fairly awful but you should be able to get basic info. I also saw some cool herding videos on YouTube. Just search "border collie".

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Agility and flyball are great way to "play" with your dog if there isn't any herding instinct. You can set up your own agility course for little or nothing if you have scraps around, hay bales, and some imagination. Just a thought...

And congrats on the new pup! You need to post some pics in the pet section!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.