Herd Queen mimicking heat?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jillis, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I have some Nigie does for whom I procured a very expensive little buck. Now, it seems to me that some of the girls that got bred to him last month might be going back into heat.

I bred one of my Alpine does to him, and then rebred her 2 weeks later. Now another one of my does is in heat again.

I am going to monitor this situation carefully.

I then was told by the breeder I bought the buck from that when some of the does go into heat, that sometimes the herd queen will show heat symptoms even thought she may be successfully bred.

I have never heard of this. It is true that when both the Alpine and now the Nigie seemed to go back into heat, there was another, less dominant doe in heat at the same time. Both the Alpine and the Nigie are the herd queens of their respective paddocks.

Anyone else hear of this phenomenon? Thank you!

2. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

Sometimes my herd queen acts "bucky", but not mimicking heat. Sometimes some come into heat about a week after 1st heat, and this is common, others still cycle 21 days after. They probably didn't take the first time. I usually jot down 2 possible due dates, the 2nd is usually accurate.
    HF

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I've had more ND does go into secondary heats this season than ever. I think it's due to up and down weather in the NE. Sometimes does do synchronize cycles - I had several come in at the same time. I don't know about the herd queen per say mimicking heat but some bred does can fool you by looking like they're flagging.